1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else been stung by UK Border Agency for VAT on their Xmas parcels from abroad?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Mrs Mo, Jan 1, 2012.

1. I was very surprised to get a letter from Parcelforce saying they were holding a parcel from the USA to me as VAT was due - we had to pay £16 before they would release the parcel to us. This was our Xmas parcel from my brother in the US. So basically, we has to pay for our own Christmas presents. We have had parcels every year from him and have never had to pay any kind of excise duty. Having googled this, it appears that VAT is due on anything sent from outside the EU which has a value of £15 or more. Can only think this is a new thing or they are just cracking down.

Anyone else had the same experience this Christmas? I'm guessing this will affect purchases made via eBay etc if the item is from outside the EU.

2. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Yes I got hit by £11 to collect some fabric I ordered from the States. Very annoying.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

We had to pay the vat on a pair of Ugg boots from Oz earlier in the year.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Why is this thread on H&W?

5. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Lol not sure but it is bad for our wellbeing to have to part with cash unexpectedly.

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Yeah it hapened to me too when I bought fabric from the USA.

7. Sorry, I meant to post on Personal! Did this on my iPad and don't know how to change it.

8. Its been in place for years, I imagine you haven't had to pay previously because the value hasn't been declared, or its below the limit, or been declared as below the limit.
    Its tax isn't it? And this country needs every penny it can grab, so don't complain too much, unless you agree Mr Boots, Mr Topshop and many others have the right idea basing themselves overseas to not pay tax, and in effect rob this country of millions all up, which is having a direct effect on teachers and other public sector workers.