1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else affected by the pension changes?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Guest, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

We (the staff at my school) received a letter on Friday telling us that our pay would be going down because of the changes to the pension scheme. This will take effect from April this year. Anyone have any idea how much we will lose? I am UPS3 and outside of London.

Alena

2. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Yoda- likes this.
  4. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

pension increase last year 2015/16, NI increase this year 2016/17 and onwards. So no pay rise last year and this year, wiped out by various increases in deductions.

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

6. mmehnert

mmehnert New commenter

Your Salary will go down by about 1.4%. or just over £35 a month The information has been out there since early 2015. Strange all those people who could not afford to go out on strike for a couple of days have not complained they have lost all this salary for the rest of their teaching career.

guinnesspuss and wanet like this.
  7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Oh, but they will!

wanet likes this.
  8. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I would imagine they'll be asking Why didn't the unions do something about it?

9. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It never ceases to amaze me how little most people understand and take notice of anything to do with pensions, tax and national insurance until it is too late.

guinnesspuss and wanet like this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or even Conditions of Service . . .

And we still have posters absolutely amazed to learn that there is no longer Pay Portability . . . ;)

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 and wanet like this.
  11. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

This government want salaries to reflect their cost of living in different parts of the country - regional pay scales (maggies gov tried to bring this in). Academies will do that so expect the salaries in the north to get less and south east to increase.

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

So annoying!

13. coppull

coppull New commenter

I notice the media have now picked up this story,that increases in NI contributions will cut the salaries of teachers next month.

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

See! Nicky Morgan's right, you teachers are just moaning minnies! A lovely pay cut for you all - your job just keeps getting better and better, doesn't it?

wanet likes this.
  15. SteveWoodhouse

SteveWoodhouse Occasional commenter

Unless my sums or memory are wrong...

2010-2015 - Government freezes wages
    2015-2020 - Government caps wage increases to 1%

Meanwhile:

2010-2015 - Pension contributions increase by approximately 4%
    2016 onwards - NI contributions increase by 1.4%

So that's a 5% rise, but a 5.4% cut.

Is there any other job, let alone profession suffering shortages, where there have not only been no rise in take-home pay over a decade, but effectively a 0.4% cut?

Yoda- likes this.
  16. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

6a00e54ef168098833016302ea86fe970d.jpg

* Does not apply to Teachers