1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else a blusher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Aug 31, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi everyone
    Last night, I went to a parents' evening at my daughter's school. I asked a question in front of a whole class of parents (we had a wee talk in individual classes by the class teacher). My face went scarlet! At 37 years of age, you'd have thought I'd have grown out of this by now.
    On my volunteer befriender training course today, I went beetroot in front of a group of lovely women. There was really no need for it - I didn't even feel remotely uncomfortable.
    I seem to be losing my social confidence a bit, the older I get. I used to get 'blushers' at school but on the plus side, I can at least wear make-up these days to cover it!

2. I am a terrible blusher. Even sometimes in my own department, where I am known, (sometimes) loved and certainly accepted as an outspoken maverick, I will occasionally blush scarlet if I say something and everyone looks at me.
    Perfectly used to addressing huge groups of kids (often a whole year at a time), sometimes just 5 adults looking at me sets me off. Way redder than makeup can cover.
    What's the trigger? How to stop it? As you say, I'm not even feeling stressed, until I start to blush!!

3. Me! ha ha.
    It's like my body decides I'm embarassed for me, even if my mind doesn't. If that makes sense.

4. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

That makes perfect sense to me, CK! [​IMG]
    Thanks for your replies. Sorry to be so brief but having to make dinner at same time as posting. Will check back later!

5. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Yup me too. I can also speak to hundreds of kids at once, but go vertually puce when having to talk in staff meetings.

6. Me too. I've found that as I've got older, and care a little less about what people think of m,e that the problem isn't as bad.
    The first time I had to do an assembly I was a scarlet gibbering wreck. Like others have said, I wasn't worried about speaking to a large number of students, it was the staff who set me off. I still hate doing assemblies, but I''ve cured myself to some extent by asking myself the following questions?
    Do you listen to what's being said in assembly?
    Answer: No
    Do you think anyone is listening to you
    Answer: No

7. Me too. For a foul-mouthed fishwife, I blush furiously if the men in the staffroom turn the conversation blue. They of course think it's hilarious.

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I went a peculiar shade of pink and purple today, but that was due to tumbling down a steep slope covered in windfall damsons (I was scrumping) and going headfirst into stingers (ouch)!

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I blush and get a blotchy rash across the top of my chest.
    It has improved but still catches me out at the most inconvient times.
    I really appreciated it when my current Head pointed out my blotchy throat/chest to me after my interview there. I didn't like to explain that high-necked tops are unflattering with cleavage of a certain size which leaves me between a rock and a hard place!

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I have suffered from this all my life. It is a paradox; I adore acting, performing, being on stage and am very outgoing and forthright but I am also quite self conscious. In my twenties, I blushed if anyone as much as looked at me! I couldn't have a conversation with any adult without going scarlet, and I mean scarlet. Most people ignored it but others commented. It didn't happen very often in class but if someone asked me a question in a departmental meeting, I could hardly answer it. I have never been able to speak in a full staff meeting and would dread doing so. I forced myself to take an assembly in a very small school once, but had to go into "performance mode" to get through it.
    I have to say it has hampered my career. I have not had the courage to push myself forward and blushing furiously does not inspire confidence. A pyschologist might tell me that it has a lot to do with having had a very aggressive father, who, instead of nurturing or encouraging any talent would often tell me that I "didn't have a clue". I could never play the piano in front of him, even as an adult, without trembling.
    Are you blonde, like me? It seems more common in fair people, because our blood vessels are nearer the skin. The good news is, I have hardly blushed at all in the last couple of years and I put that down to the menopause and hormones. Sorry if you have to wait that long! The irony is that I now feel ready to take on the world! But it's too late.
    Have you tried hypnotherapy? I didn't, but it might work. I know exactly what you are going through and it affects all areas of your life. You have my sympathy.

11. Cheeky bu gger! What an incredibly insensitive thing to do

12. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Indeed. If he did it now I would call him on it but I was too grateful to have been offered the job at the time.

13. BelleDuJour

I'm blonde, and a scientist and can reliably inform you our blood vessels are in exactly the same place as those with darker hair!
    I imagine it's just more obvious in fairer skins than darker skins, and most (but not all) blondes are fairer than dark headed people.

14. Dunteachin

You know what I mean.
    By the way, are you the same Belle du jour who came out as, how shall I put this, a "lady of the night" a couple of years ago? She was a scientist...It was all over the newspapers.

15. I blush terribly when people say embarrassing things in front of men I like. Having my friend yell out in the middle of a crowded dining hall in Year 10 as the member of staff I had a crush on was leaving, "XXXXX loves xxxxxx"! made me go scarlet! I don't blush in any other situations though.

16. rach1968

rach1968 New commenter

Oh dear - I know how you all feel! I blush at the most ridiculous times - for no apparent reason. Drives me mad. When I was a teenger it was awful - and the more people commented on it, the worse it got!!! Hate it.

17. Richie Millions

Richie Millions New commenter

Still do it in my sixties stopped worrying about it early 30's I think. I am told it can be quite endearing. I think this may just be kindness though. I shall blush as I meet my maker I am sure x

18. BelleDuJour

That was Belle DE Jour [​IMG]

19. Dunteachin

How clever of you to use the partitive "du" in order to avoid any confusion.

20. BelleDuJour

Thank you!
    However the other Belle most probably made a darn sight more money out of her 'other' job than I do teaching!
    Maybe now you could try.....just try....to be nice! It's not that difficult you know.