1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone done the absorbancy experiment - got any tips. Year 3 Materials topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Simran58, Jan 12, 2009.

1. I want to do an experiment on: Which material is the most absorbent?
    There
    is lots of recommendations to do this experiment but not much guidance
    on how to do it. What should the children measure? Should there be a
    certain amount of water, and then they put the material onto it and
    then squeeze the water out and measure that to check how much water
    that material can absorb?
    Or should the children put a certain amount of water onto a material and watch how much it spreads.
    Have you got any tips?

2. I want to do an experiment on: Which material is the most absorbent?
    There
    is lots of recommendations to do this experiment but not much guidance
    on how to do it. What should the children measure? Should there be a
    certain amount of water, and then they put the material onto it and
    then squeeze the water out and measure that to check how much water
    that material can absorb?
    Or should the children put a certain amount of water onto a material and watch how much it spreads.
    Have you got any tips?

3. Hi,

We do something called 'Clumsy Colin'...

My class enjoy the Horrid Henry stories so we make up a character called Clumsy Colin. He is a very clumsy waiter in Restaurant le Posh (this features in the books). He keeps spilling his food and drinks so he needs to find the most absorbent material to carry over his arm to mop up his spillages.

This can be done in a few ways and it's actually quite good to explain the accuracy of the experiments to the children.

1. Measure out water (with food colouring for added fun) in a measuring cylinder.

2. Pour it on to a tray. The children love pretending to be Clumsy Colin and like to 'spill' the water on to a tray.

3. Use a material (same size) to mop up the water.

4. After the material can no longer mop up the water, pour what's left on the tray into a measuring cylinder, using a funnel.

5. Repeat with different materials.

Or

1. Measure out coloured water into measuring cylinders or jugs.

2. Use different material strips (same size). Mark a line 1cm up the material.

3. Put the material into the water and time for 2mins (or however long). See how the water soaks up the materials. Are some quicker than others?

4. <font size="3">I want to do an experiment with year 3 on: Which material is the most absorbent?</font><font face="Times New Roman">I was wondering if you managed to find a resource you really liked, and is very basic for the children to understand?</font><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font><font size="3">It is an observation lesson so I have only the hour to go over the key word absorbency, explain the experiment and the children carry out the experiment any help would be good?</font>