1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone done an education PhD?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by MrCal, Mar 7, 2016.

1. MrCal

MrCal New commenter

Hi,

I would really like to do a part-time PhD. I enjoy educational research and really liked doing an MEd, and I also believe that it would be a good route into helping with policy change at a higher level.

Has anyone gone through an education PhD? I am particularly interested in how the balance between school and the course felt, and whether you felt that your research was being valued.

Thanks,

Cameron

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not an education PhD, no. But I and other valued posters (all holding several postgraduate degrees) will tell you that just holding the qualification will not be an Open Sesame into any job, especially if you already have one postgraduate degree.

Do it because you are enthralled by the idea, NOT because you see it as a career move.

Best wishes

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I seriously doubt it, to be perfectly honest. You do higher degrees purely for the love of learning.