1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

anyone done an assembly on Julia Donaldson's books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mimimarquez, Feb 9, 2008.

1. My class assembly is in book week which is fab as it makes it a lot easier! It also falls in the middle of my 'books by the same author' literacy unit when we will be looking at Julia Donaldson. Have decided to base the assembly on her books but am stuck for ideas other than acting out one of the stories and singing one of the songs. Anyone got any fab ideas? I have 4 weeks to plan it so plenty of time but excited about it so thought I'd start now!!!

2. 1st post didn't work!!

My class assembly is in book week which is fab as it makes it a lot easier! It also falls in the middle of my 'books by the same author' literacy unit when we will be looking at Julia Donaldson. Have decided to base the assembly on her books but am stuck for ideas other than acting out one of the stories and singing one of the songs. Anyone got any fab ideas? I have 4 weeks to plan it so plenty of time but excited about it so thought I'd start now!!!

3. It might involve lots of mask making etc, but could you do a montage of scenes from different books and the children have to guess which ones they are?

4. she has a website
    http://www.juliadonaldson.co.uk/about.htm
    id do the poem about her day and share a few facts about her and wouldnt be able to stop myself doing the gruffalo as its so funny and kids love it so much

5. and there is a gruffalo song too.

Maybe could start by saying have mystery author behind a screen read her poem out and have kids ask some of the questions of website for her to answer. STill get your class to guess authors (not right one) or audience if can be sure wont get it- maybe have plants in audience. then say will give clue to author by sharing a famous one of her books and then act out story of gruffalo and sing song at end and reveal who author was.
    For story have characters with masks and read story as they move around saying lines if they can or narrators in pairs doing voices.
    For gruffalo maybe have a big card picture of a griffalo which character carries or if youre clever develop a costume

6. thank you :)
    I have the song book so going to do that and had found the poem which I thought was really clever.
    I had thought about acting out the Gruffalo and because we're looking at it in literacy I have the perfect excuse for rehearsing! even bought a brown fleece in primark for 2 quid so might try and construct a costume!
    Like the idea of not telling the audience who the author is til the end and making them guess.

Thanks again x

7. missbloggs

missbloggs New commenter

I used the snail and the whale for an assembly - ours have to have a moral. The kids loved it.

8. Missblogs - I was thinking of doing the Snail and the Whale too - how did you go about doing it? Did you use any songs? Also, don't suppose anyone has done another Julia D book - The smartest giant in town?
    This is my first class assembly, so any extra help I can get would be fantastic.
    Other stories I have considering doing are 'Farmer Duck' and The little Red Hen (fits in with a growing things topic) - both of which I have found scripts to, but am trying to think of a suitable song (aside from Old McDonald!).
    Thanks in advance x

9. Hi there Do you still happen to have the assembly stored anywhere as I would love to get some ideas many thanks.