1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone done a primary school production?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by lagerlover, May 5, 2011.

1. Hi I'm after some advice please! There are 3 yr 6 classes in our school and we usually do a leaver's service but this year we thought we'd do a production for a change as it'd be fun for the children after SATs. We want to do The Wizard of Oz. Does anyone know where you can get a child friendly script and backing tracks for songs etc? Do you have to buy performance rights? None of us has ever put on a production before but we're very enthusiastic and keen to try it- I'd be really grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance

2. Hi I'm after some advice please! There are 3 yr 6 classes in our school and we usually do a leaver's service but this year we thought we'd do a production for a change as it'd be fun for the children after SATs. We want to do The Wizard of Oz. Does anyone know where you can get a child friendly script and backing tracks for songs etc? Do you have to buy performance rights? None of us has ever put on a production before but we're very enthusiastic and keen to try it- I'd be really grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance

3. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Not sure about the Wizard of Oz - my quick google wasn't particularly useful.

www.edgyproductions.com (I think that's right) appear to have a modern take on it.

If you don't have your heart set on Oz, I'd also recommend Ravenbeard productions (google it!).

You will need a performance licence whatever you go for. Details will be available from whoever you buy from, or if you get your hands on a 2nd hand script then the details are usually inside it.

Good luck, you'll have loads of fun!

4. Starshine Musicals do some good productions - we did The Keymaster at Christmas and it was the talk of the village apparently!

Also the ones based on Roald Dahls Revolting Rhymes are good - think they're AC Black.

Also worth looking at Out of the Ark - Alice the Musical is a really good production as long as you have a few strong solo singers.

5. Thank you, will give your suggestions a try. We did have out heart set on Oz but may consider something else instead

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I have a feeling my school may have done the Wizard of Oz in the past, will have a dig around tomorrow and see what I can find.

7. Thank you cinnamonsquare, I'd really appreciate it

8. I may be wrong, but you might have trouble getting performance rights as The Wizard of Oz is currently being staged in the West End. Seems stupid to me that a primary school can't put on the same production, but you don't want to get into trouble!