1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone done a Masters degree?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by ashi1992, Sep 1, 2018.

1. ashi1992

ashi1992 New commenter

Hi- I am about to embark upon an Msc in Educational leadership and Management (part time distance learning)

I am doing this because after 5 years of working as a maths teacher I have not managed to find management experience and I feel that I don't actually know enough about the landscape of education to be able to be confident in interview.

Has anyone done something similar and what has been your experience?

Many thanks

2. dts

dts Occasional commenter

What sort of management experience do you want? After five years it's not unusual to still be "just" a classroom teacher.

I have a very similar MSc, and it has been very useful - partly for making my CV more impressive but mainly for giving me the time and space to think more reflectively and strategically. However, I was already in a middle management position when I started it - there were some aspiring future leadership teachers on my course, who tended to struggle a bit - precisely because, as you say, they didn't actually know enough yet.

What helped me to progress was finding an area in my school that wasn't getting much attention, and giving up some time to make some small but visible differences. This might mean offering to take a lead in drafting a new SoW, for instance - try to find something that will be welcomed by your HoD and SLT.

lindenlea likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Most people don't have management experience after 5 years of teaching, and nor should they!
    The fact you call it management and not leadership also says a lot.

Doing a masters is interesting, but isn't a substitute for practical experience.
    Speak to your head of maths and ask what projects you can start to take on.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

I don't know how helpful this will be, but:

I was HoD and enrolled in an M Sc course in Educational Management.

By the end of the course, I had determined to leave teaching.

drvs likes this.
  5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I thoroughly enjoyed mine and don't consider you are looking at it too early.
    Entirely agree.
    Mine involved taking on an in-school project. I was middle management at the time but if you're keen, why not give it a try.

6. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

My daughter currently teaches History in secondary school and at 26 last year was offered head of department, she was very shocked, and declined the offer feeling she was not ready to manage. Now she has been given all A level curriculum to sort, and various other projects, the school think highly of her and I think she will make a better manager in future for waiting. She is currently finishing her MA in History.

I think alongside your MA you need to be brave and take all Management based interviews when they come up , it will build your confidence and you can see where your strengths are.

Good luck

7. Ms_Love_

Ms_Love_ Occasional commenter

I was thinking of doing an MSc online in my field but not sure how the different time zones would affect Skype seminars etc as I've moved abroad now. Has anyone on here completed a 100% online MA before?

8. Kateray1

Kateray1 Occasional commenter

I enquired about this to my tech and travel savvy daughter, She says yes they would, however if they are being recorded you could watch them at your leisure.

9. Ljay279

Ljay279 New commenter

Im currently studying for my MSc psych 100% online. I m doing it part time as well as working full time (soon to be second in department) its hard but doable! I do get good support from my tutor.

10. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Yes. Did a Masters but not distance. I tried an OU course a long time back and found it difficult to motivate myself. For me I needed the once a fortnight evening at the local university with others on the course.

11. emefelle

emefelle New commenter

I'm currently doing an MA in school leadership in order to boost my CV, and hopefully give me a head start in Senior Leadership job applications. It is a very interesting course, with lots of food for thought, often raising more questions than answers (I can totally see how such a course would lead you to re-consider a career in teaching GeoffThomas!)

You need to make sure it is in a subject you are interested in, as it is hard work, especially whilst working full time, but if you enjoy reading, and have an interest in educational leadership, then go for it. The research, networking and experience is invaluable.