1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone doing the DTLLS course?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tansyg, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Hiya,
    I've just started doing the DTLLS (diploma to teach in the lifelong sector) course. It's for teachers of students over the age of 14 - basically the non compulsory sector.
    I thought it would be good to start a thread so that anyone else here doing this course could support each other.
    My course has 25 students with various teaching backgrounds - some formal, some not. For myself, I am a music teacher and have never had to do lesson plans, schemes of work, formal assessment etc so it's a bit of a shock!!!!!
    Anyway - I thought I'd ask as we're all teachers in one way or another and may be able to help each other with resources etc!
    Tansy

2. Hiya,
    I've just started doing the DTLLS (diploma to teach in the lifelong sector) course. It's for teachers of students over the age of 14 - basically the non compulsory sector.
    I thought it would be good to start a thread so that anyone else here doing this course could support each other.
    My course has 25 students with various teaching backgrounds - some formal, some not. For myself, I am a music teacher and have never had to do lesson plans, schemes of work, formal assessment etc so it's a bit of a shock!!!!!
    Anyway - I thought I'd ask as we're all teachers in one way or another and may be able to help each other with resources etc!
    Tansy

3. Hi
    Yes - I've just started doing a PGCE-PCE which means we have to do our PTLLS, QTLLS and DTLLS - or petals, kettles and dettols - LOL

I've just done my degree in Tourism Business Management(very mature student - LOL) and never taught a day in my life so it's all a bit of a shock at the mo - just done some micro teaches and it's gone ok so far.
    Nearly finished my first portfolio for the PTLLS - just have the 6 week scheme of work to do and I'm done - Yeay!!!

4. Hi

I'm in the first term of DTLLS having completed PTLLS before the summer. I'm in the process of pulling together my first assignment and I'm starting to worry as we don't have any idea of how it should be written. Our tutor is a little vague as to what is expected of us and has now decided to bring forward the date of submission from "after Christmas" to Dec 18th. In the meantime we have to produce a practice assignment each week - about 100 words short of the real thing? Which makes it very short indeed. I'm desperate to see a completed assignment or a mock one as we just don't know what is meant to be in there!

Francesca

5. Francesca,

I've just started DTLLS after doing 7302 (equivalent to PTLLS) about 3 years ago. So I'm trying to remember everything from back then anyway.

I'm happy to share my experiences with you, but I think every college delivers it slightly differently. We don't have to do practice assignments each week, and there doesn't seem to be much structure to our lessons either.

I've made a start on my assignment, but I'm struggling to get a mentor to do my observation!

6. Hi Tansy
    I am a music teacher and I,m also doing a DTTLS course of study.I noticed that you wrote this a long time ago and wondered if you could afford me the benifit of your experience as I,m in year 1 of the DTTLS program.
    Also I need to find paid work in London and Brighton and wondered if you had any tips regarding this?
    I am moving to Brighton in September this year and need to work between there and London.
    Kind Regards
    Stephen

7. Hi, ever so sorry as I realize this post is backdated to 2008! However I was hoping you could shed some light. I am a recent LLB Law graduate and I am looking at the different options I have to go into teaching. I am confused between PGCE and PTLLs and DTLLs.

I feel as if the DTLLs seems too good to be true as it will only cost me one thousand pounds as opposed to 9 thousand pounds that I would pay for a PGCE, and I was informed that I can complete the dtll within 6 weeks...(is this true?)

Also must I already be in a teaching position to do the DTLLs? Any advice offered would be great.

Also as you are already qualified I wanted to ask, if it was okay getting a job in a school, or do schools not light to take on those who did a DTLLs?

Thanks

Meha

8. Hi Meta
    DTLLS is either a year long course studying Full Time or two year course Part Time. I think the course you have found which is six weeks, is a PTLLS course. Once completed you should enroll on to a DTLLS course.
    The cost of a PGCE or DTLLS course will depend on the institution you study at, not the course title. As you already have a degree in law you might be better off doing a PGCE.

As for working in state funded schools, if your course is aimed at the LIFELONG LEARNING SECTOR you will qualify and be able to teach 14yrs and up. So no primary schools and no students under 14 in secondary state funded education.

Have a chat with a careers/student advisor from the college you graduated from, or you could try the government education website.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

9. wasza007

wasza007 New commenter

Hi

PTLLS will only allow for you to teach part time.
    DTLLS will allow you to teach full time and give you qualified teacher status/QTS/QTLS and also allow you to teach in secondary schools as of the change in law in early 2012. However with that being said I would think that schools would prefere someone who has came down the PGCE route though they can not discriminate you but im sure they will find a way to not offer you the job. As to complete a DTLLS you do not even require a degree.
    For DTLLS you basically need to have a full time contract already within the work place as it requires logged 150 hours of teaching practice. The price will variey with what ever training provider you decided to do it under. You may also get offers to complete you assessors award along wih the DTLLS for a reduced fee. Depending on modules already completed in the past the course would cost from £1000 to £2000 and allows you to earn your salery in the mean time.
    This is the route I am goin down as well. My background is in sport and cannot get on to the pgce in PE as it is so competitive. I have full time hours teaching the Prince's Trust Programme which will allow me to complete the DTLLS course as a memeber of staff has taken a 2 year carear break.

Hope this helps

Warren

10. 'The amount of times...' Oh dear.

11. 'The amount of times...' Oh dear.

12. eramtauqir

eramtauqir New commenter

Hi, I'm private writer and p
    hi Francesca,
    I've taken help with assignments to complete dtlls course successfully.. For more info email your enquires qualifiedwriter1@yahoo.com