1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone doing part time &/or have young children?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by NewToTA, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Just wondered if anyone else is in the same boat?
    HAve a place ft in Sept but wondering if I should change to pt in April as children are so young. But I can't seem to find out exactly how much support I'd get financially?
    Thanks!

2. Hi
    I'm starting this September and have a three year old. I work already full time anyway, so I'm not too daunted by the prospect of studying full time as it shouldn't make much difference to our household.
    My only query with you delaying until April, would be whether the course fees will go up then? Do check this out with your admissions team. I felt extremely lucky to get onto a course this year - treble the course fees for next year would have meant I couldnt' afford to train. It could be that the fees don't go up until September, but best to check!
    eannie

3. I've got two children, aged 1 and 2. It's going to be an interesting year! I've worked full-time up til now like eannie, so hopefully that will make juggling everything a little easier.

I'm not sure about the financial side I'm afraid - I'm eligible for a maintenance grant which will cover some of the course fees but that's it, as I didnt' want to take on any loans.

4. As a PGCE mentor I can tell you from experience that those who have struggled the most are those with families. Teaching isn't like your normal 9-5 job, it WILL require you to put in extra hours in the evening and at the weekends. Your PGCE year requires even MORE time. The biggest complaint I've had is from trainees saying that they cant juggle thier family commitments and be fully dedicated to the course. My latest student has risked failing because they just dont have the time to do everything that is required. They have said throughout their second placement that they wish they'd done it part time.
    It's entirely up to you - if you have a supportive partner and family then it is doable but it will be hard work like you couldnt imagine!!
    x

5. Thanks for your replies, much appreciated! x

6. I am full of admiration for those with 3+ kids. I was feeling daunted only having the one!
    My biggest worry is not getting enough time with my boy (aged 2). We have become so close over the last year since I was made redundant and now look after him 3 days full time and he gets daddy and mummy for the rest of the week.
    One thing I have done to minimise the impact of the PGCE is to pre-arrange both of my placement schools for next year, to ensure my placements are local (I appreciate that this isn't possible for most people and the majority of Unis are not always pleased with students being proactive). One school is a 5 minute walk and the other a 10 minute cycle ride. It is worth noting that I currently volunteer at one of the schools and I have a friend-of-a-friend working at the other. I involved the Uni at all stages and they were pleased because the schools had not worked with that Uni for a number of years.
    This will at least ensure I don't have a long commute to each placement.

7. This is what I am also hoping to do. The school in which I have been volunteering for the last couple of years have said I can do my early years placement with them (it is 5 mins from home). I have yet to speak to the placement co-ordinator at the ITT provider though.
    It will make life much easier if I have my placements near home.

8. Wow you guys are lucky being able to pre-arrange your placements.My uni won't give me any indication of where I'll be, just told me to be prepared to travel up to an hour each way ! They even said they saved the local placements for BEd students as they tended to be younger and still living at home ! So much for flying the nest.

9. We've just been told that they will place us as close to home as possible, but I am assuming a commute of 25 miles each way as that's where a lot of their partner schools are. There are 2 schools 11 miles from me but I know what my luck is like [​IMG]

10. A little and sneaky trick to try and ensure a nearer placement is to tell them you dont drive, or at least dont have access to a car. I have know universities to prioritise the schools closest for those who can only use public transport. Imagine how cruel it would be to send somebody using buses to a school 25 miles away!
    I would say to those who have a foot inside the door of schools they'll do their placments at that you're at a good advantage, in that you know the school procedures, the children know you, and you've got access to the curriculum taught. Ideally you dont want to be planning lessons etc before you start the course, but you could if you wanted to. The lesson planning is probably the biggest killer. Not only does it involve lots of thinking in terms of 'how do i deliver this topic', 'what activities will work best' but the paperwork that goes with it takes forever too.
    Another one of the ridiculous pressures is the university assignments that go with the normal, planning, delivering and marking of school work. If you can ask the university for a list of the assignments in advance, or as early as possible, and do whatever preparation you can for them in advance you will find yourself a lot less stressed.
    x

11. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

Hello everyone
    I am two weeks away from finishing my PGCE in secondary English. I have 3 children aged 5,4 and 2. I can honestly say it's been the toughtest year of my life but now I am near the end, I am glad I did it. You have to be 100 % committed though. Get rid of the guilt and accept the fact you will rarely see your kids apart from during school holidays. I work every evening including weekends . I get up at 5.30 to do work when the kids are still asleep but spend weekend daytimes with my children. I think the younger they are though, the greater they are to accept it. It is nearing midnight on a Saturday night and I have been working all night, only because I spent the day at zoo. You will come to resent the lifestyle of the young and single on your course!!
    I got sent to two placement schools where there were no schemes of work. This has been horrendous as I have had to do everything off my own back.
    But if you;re determined you can do it. I have a full-time job to go to in September and can't wait to get in that classroom by myself now without all the evaluation, analysis and reflection"
    Best of luck x

12. I get up at 5.30 to do work when the kids are still asleep but spend weekend daytimes with my children. I think the younger they are though, the greater they are to accept it. It is nearing midnight on a Saturday night and I have been working all night, only because I spent the day at zoo.

This is also why I am doing it with the kids so young, they are all in bed by 7pm latest so I always have the evenings on my own. Im hoping that sat and sun daytimes will be all kiddie orientated and then spend the evenings working....

13. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

My two will be in yr 3 and yr 6 when I start my FT PGCE in Sept. I have a very supportive husband but we are under no illusions that it'll be tough.
    I've got two friends who are doing PGCE right now - one has children in yr 2 & Reception, the other in yr 2 and pre-school. They both did FT courses too. It IS tough, they have found it very hard, but they have both got through it and enjoyed it.
    I saw one of them this morning who was beaming ear to ear as she yesterday landed her NQT job for Sept :)

14. I too have children; four who will be from 4 to 15 when I start the (hopefully, on a reserve place) PGCE in September. I'm under no illusion how tough it will be. But I'm organised an prepared for it being tough. I desperately want to be a teacher so the year will be worth it!

15. Hi Jojosmile
    I am looking at flexible pgce routes and have come across the one at Canterbury. Have you been accepted onto it already for January? Do you have any further details on it please? In particular when the school placements are and for how long etc? I have the info on the website but wondered if you could help with anything further?
    Also, do you live nearby? I'm not local but did ask about this and they said it shouldn't be a problem.

Thank you for any help.