1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone doing AQA ICT Coursework (Hickley Travel)?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by happyflower, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Desperately need some help with the Task 3 work (Databases).

Anyone doing this who can offer some support?

Ta

2. Desperately need some help with the Task 3 work (Databases).

Anyone doing this who can offer some support?

Ta

3. What do you need help with hun?

4. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

Not doing it at the minute, but I've done many AQA coursework tasks over the last few years... I was starting to wonder if Lancre was a real place!
    Post some more info about what you're struggling with and I'll read up on the task.

5. How do you get a copy of the controlled assessments tasks? I can't see them on the AQA website.

6. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I've only looked at it for 2 minutes but it looks fairly straight forward: You're given 4 files (Passegers, collection points, tour details dietry requirements), these need to be imported into four separate tables in your database. You'll then need to set up the correct relationships between tables, with the key fields linking to the foreign keys in the passenger table.
    You're then asked to be able to produce lists for any collection point on a tour - this is done in two parts; you'll need a parameter query to pick out the right information and then a report based on this query to fomat it, include all of the headigs, etc.
    Is that any help?

7. Make sure you follow the controlled assessmenfs guidelines carefully. Any hint that you told or even suggssted how pupils should solve this for themselves is malpractive (we have already had one complaint from a parent that we had to investigate). It will only take one pupil to complain about you giving undue help to someone else and you will end up being the subject of an investigation. Most of my class couldn't do this task even after doing a similar one i made up. You have to just accept that now. Previous A, B and C pupils now get D, E and F grades.

8. mark - thanks for that - we are an international school not in the UK so it's a bit differetn here when it comes to coursework -in fact, we get parents complainign that their kids are NOT given enough explanations regarding their coursework - you can't win eh!

gav - thanks for that - I get the first part - it's the second part I can't work out (I rarely use Access.. I am proficient in spreadsheets, word processing, web-building blabla blaaaa but databases are my bug bear..)

Can you take some more time out to explain it to me step by step? Sorry - that sounds like I am totally incompetent, but would truly appreciate it.

By the way, I'm actually an ART teacher but they dumped this on me last year...

9. gavcradd

gavcradd New commenter

I'll put down some more detail for you later today when I'm free, but in the meantime, google "parameter query access" and "reports access".

I understand that you're an Art teacher, but you really need to speak to your Head of Department or someone senior about this - it's wrong that anyone should be teaching ICT who doesn't have a clue about queries, let alone up to GCSE level. It's not your fault, it's the school's fault.

10. PM me and I'll send you access details for the AQA GCSE ICT course on our VLE. Be quick though as I'm going offline for 2 weeks from tomorrow.
    Merry Christmas!

11. Hey, do you still need help or are you ok now? Sorry only just seen your post, I've got some sheets that I made up for the LSA's in my class last year somewhere at school so I could try and find them for you tomorrow if you still need help.
    Kaz

12. hey i was wondering if you couod help me to im kind of stuck reply back plz