1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone do AQA GCSE Spec B Unit 4? (Philosophy)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by poppy2004, Feb 11, 2012.

1. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Hello all,
    I am in the process of putting together the scheme of work for the miracles unit but am struggling with the section that talks about evidence of miracles and evidence for miracles. I don't know if I am just complicating it in my own head but wondered how others teach this to make it accessible for the kids.
    ANY help at all would be much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Hello all,
    I am in the process of putting together the scheme of work for the miracles unit but am struggling with the section that talks about evidence of miracles and evidence for miracles. I don't know if I am just complicating it in my own head but wondered how others teach this to make it accessible for the kids.
    ANY help at all would be much appreciated!
    Thank you in advance [​IMG]

3. I wouldn't worry too much about about the differences. The exam questions test knowledge of a religious miracle from scripture as opposed to a non-religious miracle or a religious miracle that ISNT in a holy book.
    The evidence for miracles are usually listed as reasons why miracles could be real ie:
    Witnesses, experience, stories in holy books, the Qu'ran itself etc. Our pupils like this topic but struggle with Immortality.
    Did you go to any recent AQA INSET? I Found out are unit is marked slightly differently to the other units. There aren't many of us that do Philosophy and ultimate questions, most centres think that its too conceptually difficult for their pupils Sometimes I wonder if I should switch to another topic.

4. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Its interesting that you say that BRENHELL - this is my first year doing AQA after swapping from OCR and I'm finding that its harder for the kids to get to grip with the content.
    Do AQA tend to be more leniant with the marking of this unit due to the complexity of it?
    Which other units do you do from Philosophy? I'm doing Miracles, Immortality, Existence of God and Evil and Suffering. How do your students find them?
    (apologies - so many questions!!!!)

5. AQA don't mark more leniantly than other units- our marks went from unexpectedly good in the first year to diabolical last year. I suspectwe got given the benefit of the doubt in the first year, not thet AQA admitted this though.A lot of us on another thread were really hacked off!
    We start in year 9 and cover existence of God, revelation and evil and suffering. in year 10 we do miracles and immortality but rush through Science and religion. Some of our students do OK on the Science topic as it links well with the Existence topic.We then have about 10-12 weeks revison until the exam.
    I noticed last year that the questions on Miracles and Evil and Suffering got more difficult as they are popular with most centres. However, I thought the Revelation questions were a bit easier as this was left out by most students in most centres.
    by the way, I found some quite good revision stuff on the" Get revising" website. I also bought a quite good commercially produced revision guide- as our unit isn't covered by the usual revsion guide publishers. I can email it to you if you want?

6. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

BRENHELL - That would be brilliant! I will pm you. [​IMG]

7. Just saw your post. The distinction between evidence for miracles and evidence of miracles is too fine a distinction for GCSE students to get to grips with. Questions are usually phrased more like this: 'Explain why many religious believers think that miracles do happen.' The answer might include personal experience of miracles, witnessing one (believing someone else's testimony / seeing it on tv!) or believing that those recorded in scripture or religious tradition were truly witnessed at the time. But the answer can also include evidence for miracles being genuine, i.e. too many accounts / at least some must be true / still happen today, not just past events / science has not been able to explain the event / miracles performed by religious founders have inspired conversion / willingness to give one's life for one's faith / research shows power of prayer to heal, etc. Don't worry about trying to make the distinction between 'of' and 'for'...students would probably interpret either word in the same way.

8. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Its 'funny' (and certainly not funny - ha ha!) but as I am going through designing my AQA schemes of work I am finding that the content is much harder than OCR (the exam board I used to follow)
    At my previous school I taught A-Level and it seems much closer in terms of content!
    I was starting to panic that I had made a huge mistake...
    [​IMG]

9. poppy2004

poppy2004 New commenter

Hi there san38 - how are you doing?
    I will pm you so look out for a message! [​IMG]

10. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks Poppy - all well with me. Thanks also Brenhell for PM - I have emailed you.

11. Hi there. Do you think you could send me the powerpoint you use too please?
    Many thanks.
    Kath