1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone contacted schools about work?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by TES_English, Jul 8, 2018.

1. TES_English

TES_English New commenter

Hello

Due to family commitments, I am not going to be able to continue evening tutoring over the next academic year (which is a shame as i've loved it). However, I know that with only two days to offer, i'm not going to find a teaching position (English).

has anyone contacted schools directly about tutoring/supply/ad hoc teaching work and was it successful?

Struggling to work out how to manage next year.

Thank you :)

2. ghemmings1

ghemmings1 New commenter

I too would appreciate an informed answer to this question. Is it possible to offer day 6 provision for excluded students, for instance?

3. Informant

Informant New commenter

When I went part time in anticipation of retirement, I contacted the local education authority to ask about tutoring pupils not able to attend school for whatever reason (eg illness). They were very positive and invited me to apply to work for them. In the event I became fully occupied with other tasks, but I did accept some GCSE intervention support work with groups of 6 pupils in a school where the deputy head heard I might be available and had my contact details. Also when I visited one of my old schools to help with lunchtime computer club one day, I was immediately asked if I would come in to tutor a girl who couldn't attend all mainstream lessons. I declined this one as I was actually trying to retire (a bit), but I suggest you make yourself known to places you'd be happy to work with.

4. Kateray1

Kateray1 New commenter

I’ve been encouraged by friends and family who work in schools to send a letter to the heads some keep lists of tutors.

I will do this soon.

Skywatcher17 likes this.