1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone checking the Workplace Dilemmas?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Resolve, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

As an occasional returning visitor (I am retired) to these forums I am appalled at many of the issues raised in the Workplace Dilemmas forum. While I am quite sure some of these reflect disaffected teacher together with a fair sprinkling of those whose classroom performance is below the requisite standards, many of the issues do rather raise serious questions about how the most senior teachers operate in some schools.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Extremely worrying, indeed.

The posts receive a large number of views, although we don't know who from, of course. Just look at the number of views of the thread I started on possible other careers. This are not separate individuals, of course, as there will be repeat visits to read the new posts. But still . . .

Best wishes

Resolve likes this.
  3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

*Gets on high hobby horse*

In my opinion, it's caused by SLTs having an average age of about 23 these days. They lack the collective experience of managing people necessary to manage people well.

4. Resolve

Resolve New commenter

Indeed. And given the increasing importance of emotional intelligence in the toolkit of responsible management in the corporate sector in many western European and North American, it rather does look as though there is a major need for this in education sector here. It's not only lacking, the stress caused by irresponsible heads really does need addressing if teaching is to avoid the stresses experienced by NHS nurses who also seem increasingly to the targets of bullying and irresponsible staff management.

GLsghost likes this.
  5. Brunettegirl

Brunettegirl Occasional commenter

Couldn't agree more. But who appoints them? Who empowers them? Who winds them up and sets them off in the direction of the next poor individual who they want to get rid of? Who doesn't reign them in when they overstep the mark? Who supports and backs them 100% against the individuals that are so worn down and terrified that they don't know what to do next? Who ensures that the normal and hard-working teacher is so ill, and exhausted that they no longer have the strength to expose what is going on to the governing body? Yup. That will be the headteachers.

I'll get off my hobby horse now.

fitzron and Anonymity like this.
  6. Middlemarch

Increasing numbers of whom have frighteningly small levels of experience. Academy chains in particular are more often than not appointing dreadfully inexperienced heads, increasingly without proper ads or interview processes.

Why? (a) because they want people who will toe the academy line and (b) because they CAN.

7. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

*joins you*

ilovepoppies likes this.
  8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yes, spot on. I would phrase it as not being the right calibre of person to be a HT. You need some experience, wisdom, common sense and a degree of plain simple intelligence, that is sadly lacking in so many HTs today.

fitzron and Anonymity like this.
  9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is why it is so worrying when we have someone coming on to ask for Careers advice, saying I have just finished my NQT induction, and my aim is to be a Head in 5-7 years. What is the best way to ensure this?

Don't think it doesn't happen.

:)

Best wishes

Middlemarch likes this.
  10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree Scintillant. You also need bucketfuls of empathy and the ability to treat people in the way that you would expect to be treated yourself.

Again from reading workplace dilemmas this does seem to be sadly lacking in many HT's.

fitzron, Dragonlady30 and Scintillant like this.
  11. Middlemarch

Oh, it does, doesn't it? I often say (and I do bore friends regularly with this) that I had no concept of becoming a head until I was a deputy head. As a new teacher, I just wanted to be...a good teacher; and I recall thinking that my HOD did a difficult job and I couldn't imagine being good enough to do it myself.

Bless me, eh?

12. veneris

veneris New commenter

Could I add some empathy, humanity and integrity to that list? I once sat in a room listening to a talk from the head of a MAT with a bunch of prospective SLT and some existing ones and listened to this individual tell them not to waste time winning enemies over but to take them out. Those were the words used. And lots of them nodded their heads in eager agreement. The younger they were, the more nodding. I have never been more ashamed of my profession than I was then.

fitzron, Dragonlady30 and Scintillant like this.
  13. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I currently work with two SLT who I believe are destined to be heads. I feel sorry for the poor staff of their schools. They are both very disparaging of the failings of others. One of them is a whirling dervish and expects a similar level of commitment from all around her.

14. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Even those that you think would make great heads change hugely when they get there. Colleague of mine was hideous as a head but had been fabulous as a deputy. Such a shame.

15. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

*hitches large carriage behind hobby horse and gets in*

ilovepoppies and Anonymity like this.
  16. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

In the 90s when i was doing my MSc in Ed Management and then my NPQH the whole thrust was the management of change and how to take people with you. Those were the days.

17. eljefeb90

eljefeb90 Senior commenter

Absolutely. I can think of one whose innate decency was totally warped by the enormous stress he was under. He became ever more autocratic and vengeful.

18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Wasn't at Danbury Park perchance was it @lindenlea ?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

...whereas, when I did my NPQH, the whole thrust was the management of the bar tab... :D

rosievoice likes this.
  20. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I did my degrees at Didsbury and NPQH at various places around Manchester. The GMB building was a Victorian fantasy.

ZIMBOFAN likes this.