1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone been to Croatia?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by littlemissraw, Jan 2, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

What are thoughts? Is it worth going to? Is it cheap whilst there? Looking for somewhere different, cheap (so out the euro) and with things to see. x

2. I undersatand that Croatia is lovely, although I've never been. We had a lovely time in Poland last year - not in the euro, lovely weather and lots to see and do.

3. Croatia is brilliant, fabulous and beautiful, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Most people have very good English , all the camp sites are very well resourced, there is lots to do.

I will tell anyone who will listen to use Huck Finn tours. No, I don't work for them, but they were so brilliant, it's the least I can do.

Take sturdy shoes to wear in the water as many places have lots and lots of urchins. Many don't, but it would be a shame not to be able to swim because your feet would be cut to shreds

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Low cost option for Venice - try a campsite on the Adriatic coast across the lagoon, then get a ferry from Punta Sabbioni.

5. Some time ago now but I spent a happy week on a sailboat wandering up and down the coastline and onto the islands before a week in Dubrovnik. Best holiday ever!

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We stayed on the Island of Korcula first time we visited Croatia very quiet but just a boat ride from Dubrovnik [​IMG]
    also stayed in Porec [​IMG]which was much more lively and a short hydrofoil trip to Venice
    We also visited Lake Bled from Porec which is very beautiful[​IMG]

7. littlemissraw

Thanks all for your help. We've decided on Porec now just choosing between 2 hotels. So excited been years since I've been away [​IMG] x

8. littlemissraw

Loving the pictures!
    We can pre-book Istria, Venice, Plitvice Lakes and Kupa River rafting x

9. I am soooooooo jealous. Croatia is my favourite place in the world and it's gonna be a long time before I can go back.

10. I did the river rafting, stopped off half way down to pick pomegranetes from the trees!

11. Definitely recommend Croatia, stayed in Split, *** and Zagreb the summer before last and also went to Dubrovnik last summer. All places are gorgeous but have to say I liked *** the most - very cheap, people are friendly, lots to see and do and a great base to go and see more of the country.

12. littlemissraw

All booked! SO EXCITED!!! Love having something to look forward to.
    I'm curious to know where the stars are about though paz [​IMG] lol. xx

13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The Croatian equivalent of Scunthorpe maybe?

14. littlemissraw

That should have been what the stars are about [​IMG]

15. littlemissraw

Is that what you all do in the staff room!? Worse than the kids knowing every language for 'games' on Google lol [​IMG] x

16. We've driven down there from UK a couple of times - stopping at P u l a (great amphitheatre) but Istria is expensive, or via Slovenia (also v pretty and worth a detour). Drove down to Dubrovnik (cheapish campsite just outside town, buses go in regulaly). Spent 3 weeks camping on Peliasic Peninsula, just opposite Korcula. Camping cost about 20 euro for family of 4 per night. About 10metres from thewaters edge - lovely. Only downside was food was a bit limited. Just eat the fish. Am definitiely goingmany more times!

17. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

I have been following this thread and seeing all the lovely photos has made me decide that is where we shall go this year. We really want a nice quiet town or village with maybe a few restaurants but not too busy in August. A lot of the places look great for day trips but wondered where might be a bit quieter to stay. We normally find a nice old cottage/appartment somewhere . There's only two of us.

Anyway thanks for starting this thread, we normally don't decide till about April or May when everywhere is booked up!

18. littlemissraw