1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone been to Bilbao

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lindenlea, Jan 9, 2016.

1. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i had been trying to sort out something in Sardinia but just couldn't find anything that excited me that was affordable for a summer holiday but last night came across pictures of Bilbao and St Sebastian. This might do us for June / July. We could fly to Madrid and train to Bilao for a few days then train on to St Sebastian with the possibility of hiring a car to drive into Rioja country for a night of two in a hotel / winery. The weather isn't relaible i know but it looks beautiful and interesting and not too expensive.

jomaimai likes this.
  2. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I know some of the area - but not well, but beautiful and I would have thought a great trip.

3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I went to Bilbao a couple of years ago and really liked it. The Guggenheim is a great place to visit as is the Old Town. The City itself has some good places to eat at, shop in and visit but it's rather like many other European cities in that respect. The areas outside of the City are very pretty and worth exploration. St Sebastian won't disappoint I suspect.
    I'll be there again in August but, sadly, only for a day. Looking forward to it though.

jomaimai likes this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I recall spending more time in the Bilbao Guggenheim than I do in most modern art galleries, so that's a good thing. I liked their big spider too. In all honesty that's the only thing I remember about the city, but I'm not much of an urbanite, so I tend to have a blind spot beyond a city's main attractions. The Costa Verde coastline is pleasant, and unusual scenery for Spain - if you go you should definitely get a car so you can explore it. The Altimira painted prehistoric cave reconstruction is up that way too.

Personally if I was going to travel that far by train from Madrid I'd head straight for Seville - lots more to see and do there, and a very bike friendly city for getting around cheaply. Maybe you've done it already though.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ute Lemper singing the Bilbao song to get you in the mood.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

I'd second that; we had a great beach holiday in Sanlucar de Barrameda with a couple of days in Seville either side.

I did visit Bilbao once during a few days trip to Santander and it seemed nice enough, but I can't remember many specifics. In this area of Spain food is fab and cheaper and there are generally fewer tourists (or not as obvious anyway). More of an active than lazy holiday destination though.

7. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Spanish food - missing it already...sighhh

8. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@magic surf bus You're right, we've been to Seville several times (fantastic place) both on day visits and to stay so we were looking for somewhere new. We don't expect the glories of Andalucia but it's been in my mind for many years as a possibility and it's number may have just come up. Now i've got to decide how many days to book and where else to go. Santiago might be a whole other trip.

9. Noja

Noja Senior commenter

Noja is just down the coast...loved it so much I changed my name

RedQuilt likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Didn't realise till I went to Grandelf and Crystals' engagement party at the Malthouse and someone told me your name was a place in Spain. Up till then I'd thought of you as 'No jar'.:rolleyes:

Noja likes this.
  11. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Yes, been to Bilbao on a ferry. Spent a couple of hours there before returning. Weekend whale watching trip. It was 7am on a Sunday morning after a festival so there was confetti-like stuff all over the streets and everything was closed. Didn't get to the Guggenheim and didn't see any whales either!

12. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I visited the area last summer. It was very hot in August, it cannot be, great food, beautiful countryside (people speak Euskera) ... Not to miss!

13. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

I would not go to the south of Spain in the summer. You would be napping all day long. Too hot!

14. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

San Sebastian is worth a visit too. I thought it was a very characterful town that didn't feel at all Spanish. (Well it's not really, is it?) I hitch hiked there from Goettingen in the seventies. Be careful about swimming in the bay. The tide can carry you a long way out but there are shoals of nice fish to look at as you slog back to shore. I also remember a big Basque separatist parade through the streets to coincide with some fiesta. The live gunfire made a change from the morris dancing and dog shows at their UK equivalent too. Ah those were the days.

lindenlea likes this.