1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

anyone been recruited during covid? Advice

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Tinkerbell999, May 6, 2020.

  1. Tinkerbell999

    Tinkerbell999 New commenter

    I was offered a non teaching role back in feb. There was delays with my references and then covid happened.
    I was given a conditional job offer by Local authority HR a few months ago. The school has received all references now and when I have asked for a start date I have been told I can’t be given one due to covid? They are stating that I can’t be set up and have a proper induction and be given the right equipment.

    I understand this to a degree but I know other friends who have still moved jobs during covid and have gone on to successfully start the job.

    I am worried because
    1. It’s an academy and I think they may drag me out until a September start due to financial purposes
    2. I’m worried that I may not even have a job because I haven’t signed anything yet to say I have accepted the job, had no unconditional offer. I only have a string of emails to say they still want me to work for them but I’m not sure if that’s enough.

    Any advice as I’ve asked for updates several times but still can’t get a response.
    Thank you
  2. Tinkerbell999

    Tinkerbell999 New commenter

    anyone have any advice?
  3. Owleyes00

    Owleyes00 New commenter

    What exactly was the job you have been offered? I have been offered (and accepted) a job during the pandemic with a September start but have been told that I will be able to start remotely. My understanding is that a verbal job offer is binding and if you have something in writing then that is definitely sufficient. You sometimes don't get a contract until you start. They likely are just very busy dealing with other things and from their perspective everything is sorted.
  4. becky70

    becky70 Occasional commenter

    I'm not an expert in employment law so my main advice is to talk to someone who is! Do you belong to a union?
    The string of emails should provide you with evidence that they have offered you a job. I'm not sure it will prevent them dragging you out to a September start.
    agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  5. Tinkerbell999

    Tinkerbell999 New commenter

    It is a pastoral support post.
    And I’m not with a union and wouldn’t know which one to join.?
  6. Corvuscorax

    Corvuscorax Star commenter

    I'm not an expert, but I am in a similar situation. I would say don't resign until you have a start date, and let them know, politely, that you can't resign unless you have a start date
    Tinkerbell999 likes this.
  7. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    A difficult and worrying situation for you.

    I do hope it can be sorted to your satisfaction.

    Just a point for other Tessers. Tinkerbell isn't in a union. You all should be, so join one now.

    She asks which one to join. Unfortunately, that will be of no use now. You see, being in a union is like having house insurance. You can't take out insurance after your house has burnt to the ground, and then make a claim. Similarly, you can't have a problem and then join a union after its started.

    Well, if course you can join a union, and if you aren't in one you should, now, but they will not help you with an issue that started before you joined. Your house has already burnt down.

    The NEU, the main education union, supports both teachers and other school staff who are not directly teaching.

    So I'll just repeat, Tinkerbell, that I do hope that you get everything sorted so that you needn't worry further at an already worrying time.

    Keep safe everyone
    agathamorse likes this.
  8. Tinkerbell999

    Tinkerbell999 New commenter

    You. I have and all I got was we will let you know once we know more. Unfortunately that was a couple of weeks ago now also.

    I’ve seen locally another school that was advertising a similar post has gone on to successfully start this week so I am not sure what is holding me up.

    I think they are waiting for the governments advice and if so I don’t think I’ll be starting until September. Which I’m not sure I’m prepared to wait for as I’m loosing a lot by going to this post in terms of continued service ect.

Share This Page