1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone been on holiday yet?

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by littlejackhorner, Jul 22, 2020.

1. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I know we have all had holiday plans cancelled and delayed but things are opening up again now. Has anyone been away yet? We've been to the Lakes and it was lovely but very strange- quiet but queues for pubs and restaurants.
    My friend has asked me about going abroad next month to make up for our cancelled trip in May. I'm really unsure about it. I would love to be somewhere warm and feel pampered for a few days. However I am worried that I may have to wear a mask everywhere and I also worry about last minute cancellation. I wondered if anyone else has tried holidays yet and if so what has your experience been like?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me the worry about health insurance and possibly getting ill whilst on holiday, or even getting stranded abroad should they shut down flights again mean I have no plans to venture far this year.

3. littlejackhorner

littlejackhorner Senior commenter

I understand you completely @Lara mfl 05 . I have managed to renew my travel insurance which would cover me if I got ill but obviously doesn't cover cancellation. I had said to my friend that I would only consider going somewhere that I could still get home from if flights were cancelled. I've not committed myself to anything, just told her I would have a really good think about it. There are many reasons not to go and I have to admit, the main draw is the weather.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Intelligence !
    Within living memory, yes, people found themselves stranded abroad and agonising over repatriation. Would it be wise to consider how far the virus has been brought under control before settling in to the window seat and fastening the seat belt ?
    I realise we must attempt to return to normality but consider those who travelled to Barcelona just recently....

5. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

We had planned to go to visit my mother who lives in the USA we go twice a year but both visits cancelled 1 by airline 1 by Cunard as were had booked a transatlantic crossing.I have a Air B and B booked for later this year in Scotland safer in a self catering rather than 'masked' up in a hotel. As for next year hopefully to USA also cautiously looking at a trip to Nova Scotia travelling around places such as Lunenburg ,Peggy's cove and on to P.E.I. but still have concerns. I can understand people worried about travel insurance we renewed annual worldwide in March before pandemic.Guess it will be more expensive next year.A caveat if Covid still as it is and,or, we don't feel comfortable then clearly we will stay in UK.

littlejackhorner and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

"Spain's coronavirus rates have tripled in the three weeks since lockdown was eased. As a result of outbreaks in Catalonia, up to 96,000 residents of three Catalan towns have been advised to stay at home and residents in Barcelona were advised on Friday to leave their home only for essential trips. This advice was widely ignored, and over the weekend 4,581 new cases were recorded in Spain, bringing the total to 264,836.

Ana Rodríguez, a Catalan health worker, told The Telegraph's destination expert Sally Davies: "The problem with asking people not to leave town because we might be looking at a second lockdown, is that they will see it as potentially their last chance for a weekend away. It was always going to backfire."

Piranha likes this.
  7. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

However, Greece is still doing very well.

There was a brief blip after they reopened borders, but it’s back down again.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It's a risk, for sure. It is up to you whether you want to take it. I had a trip booked to Berlin for the marathon in September, and now that has been cancelled I have been able to move everything to 2021 without charge. We did think about going to visit the city, but didn't want to take the risk of things being locked down there or getting trapped. We were in Portugal the week before lockdown, and quite concerned about getting home.

We have booked a week in an Airbnb in the UK instead of Berlin. We have a trip to Sicily booked for October - no idea what will happen to that. We think our insurance will cover us, as it was booked before Covid. Nothing we can do about it anyway.

9. elainerosebud

elainerosebud New commenter

We have just booked for the lakes and the 1930s hotel in Morecambe. I feel it has the potential to be a homage to our honeymoons 30 odd years ago. However we did come back from that so broke we couldn't get our weddings pics for 3 months

10. wayside34

wayside34 New commenter

I checked mine bought before pandemic, it does not cover Covid 19. Always best to call insurance company.Hope you fair better then me and yours does cover Covid 19. I know of a few companies who will cover Covid 19 but I would imagine will be expensive. I will always check the small print from now on when it comes to buying such products.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

For me, considering the infection rate in Greece is so much lower than here (and I’ll be surrounded by Brits, Greeks and Germans), it’s more of a risk to stay at home.

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

13. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

The risk I was referring to is not that you will catch Covid, but that you will find you need to quarantine yourself for two weeks on your return. Or, indeed, that you will have to do this when you get to your destination. Quarantine rules can change daily.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  14. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I received an email from my insurer saying that holidays booked before the date of the email were covered, but not those booked afterwards. Perhaps I wasn't clear, both the insurance and the booking had to predate the pandemic. I am not sure what the legal position is - can an insurance company say that they won't cover something which was covered at the time of booking?

15. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Like others, I was too worried about getting ill abroad (especially husband who is post stroke and has other health issues), getting stranded and exactly what insurance would cover. Have moved holiday to next July ... do wonder if we'll all be going then? Will we be able to and will we be confident?

Now off to Devon for a week tomorrow. Weather forecast not great, but really looking forward to a changevos scene.

16. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Looks like you don't go to Greece then...

18. lynneseptember

lynneseptember Senior commenter

Not going on holiday at all this year. Our first break, to go to a wedding in May, had to be cancelled and the second one in September in the U.K. we decided to cancel because of the necessity to pre book everywhere once there and the worry that there could be a spike either there or en route, meaning the possibility of being stuck. I suppose we are being a bit over cautious, but we've re-booked the place we were going to for next year, hoping things will be more settled.

19. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe Occasional commenter

We are in Greece at the moment. Not a holiday from UK. Just retired from Hong Kong so came here as a pre retirement break before return to UK for retirement proper. It’s a great feeling being here. We don’t have a return flight booked - no ‘holiday’ end date. Just travelling day to day...no real concrete plans! Love it!

Anyway - it feels safe here. Very quiet on the whole (although I am worried all the brits will arrive soon!)

Government have clear rules in Hotels , restaurant and transport and people are generally following them. We had a QR code but no one checked it on entry, in fact they didn’t even check passports!!

Personally have lived through this in Hong Kong for the last 6 months I feel confident to keep myself safe. We use masks when we feel we need to and are careful with hygiene. We are keeping away from crowds. It is so quiet out of the cities (and comparatively so in the city). Roads are so clear - had some great driving up in the north and around the mountains/national parks.

I would recommend it but I won’t as I want it to stay like this!

littlejackhorner likes this.
  20. Baron_Hamstead

Baron_Hamstead New commenter

I am grateful to all those you are venturing on holiday, be it within the UK or abroad. They willl keep the tourist industry going until 2021, when I feel most people will return to all markets.
    I was hoping to be in Cyprus right now, but held back from booking in March. At the moment Cyprus do not allow entry if you have been in the UK for the last 14 days. From August 1st you need to have evidence of a negative test within the previous 72 hours. Hopefully by next year, when I have booked a villa for a month, the situation will be easier.
    Meanwhile planning a short visit to Kent in late September/October to keep the wheels turning!

littlejackhorner and Piranha like this.