1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone been on holiday to Hong Kong?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by screech, Jan 2, 2011.

1. I am thinking about Hong Kong for our summer holiday this year, but i'm not sure if there is much to do apart from the shopping. I'm also thinking that it might be a bit hot in August. Has anyone got any experience or recommendations?

2. May2

May2 Occasional commenter

We went a few years ago with two teenagers and it was a great experience. I don't know how well travelled you are but I found it amazing,really bustling with people but everywhere so clean and no litter. There are interesting markets especially going out after dark. The Victoria Peak to visit via the tram. Lots of amazing sights such as the outdoor escalators going up the hill I found fascinating. The star ferry is great and wonderful coming into the harbour at night and seeing the buildings all lit up. I can't remember all the names of the places we visited but I remember going on a bus to a Buddihst temple, to Ocean Park which was a kind of theme park but with Giant Pandas and lots of different kinds of gold fish and also to the zoo. Now of course there is a Disneyworld which wasn't there when we went about 8 years ago so it may have changed it a bit. We only had one week there but we all really enjoyed the experience of the different culture.
    I don't know about the summer temp as we went in the October half term and it was fine, not too hot.

3. I love Hong Kong.... I've been there three times. Lots to do as well as shopping although that is one of my favourite things to do there...
    You have to go to the Peak, best place for views - I also did a night tour that included a visit to to the Peak after dark to see the lights. You must do a Harbour Cruise..also dinner on the Jumbo floating restuarant was lovely... but don't buy the souvenir photo plates... haha... So many other things to see and do... the Flower Markets and Bird Markets and all the other markets - not for shopping but to see it all.. Stanley was lovely ...
    I have been there in July - very hot and humid - twice - you just have to deal with it.. plan your day so you can take advantage of existing air con - but walking around the markets in the heat does take it out of you...
    Accommodation-wise ... I have stayed at the Marco Polo - great views of the harbour and two of the Novotel hotels (one close to the airport and one in the city) but my favourite is the Holiday Inn Golden Mile (on Nathan Road). This hotel is right on the main shopping strip and right next to the MRT (Tube) and only 5 mins from the Ferry. If I recall correctly, across the road from a 7-Eleven so you can avoid the minibar prices and get your snacks ... The MRT will take you everywhere so it is nice and handy having it so close...
    Rest assured there will be plenty to do... lots of day trips you can do as well... to Macau and Shenzhen (my favourite shopping destination in the world - awesome 'designer' handbags amongst other things)...

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Lamma Island is lovely to walk around and the New Territories have some onderfulcountryside.
    Not my idea of a summer holiday, though,I must admit.

5. I went in August way back in 2005 and from what I remember the weather was just nice, not overly hot. I remember it being quite hazy. We stayed in Kowloon at the Sheraton Hotel which was lovely with a rooftop pool and the views of HK island were out of this world. The hotel is right next to the Star Ferry terminal for trips across to HK island.
    We only stayed for 3 days as we were on one of those round the world honeymoon things but would def go back.
    http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=482

6. I lived in Hong Kong many, many years ago. I'm not sure when the monsoon season is, but I suspect it will very hot and humid.
    To compensate there are lots of lovely beaches. We used to like Sheko and Big Wave Bay. Not sure what they're like now though.

7. Thanks everyone, it does sound great and i'd love to go but OH has done soem researchofhis own and aparently it's basically a no smoking city, you can now only bring 19 ciggies in thru customs, and he's a smoker so it's back to the drawing board on summer hols.
    Yeah i know, trapped by his addiction [​IMG]