1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone anyone been told off for doing what they were told?!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Maz86, Nov 13, 2015.

1. Maz86

Maz86 New commenter

...I'm baffled, upset and cross. My line manager asked me to find out some things about Section 48. I told her I would contact the RE advisor. She was happy with this. Then, following a conversation with the HM, she told me under no circumstances to contact the RE advisor. I told her that I already had. She then made me send her the email I had sent. She then proceeded to barrage me with emails which were very distressing. I literally don't know what to do.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Take it up with her line manager and your union then, when it's most convenient for you and most inconvenient for the lot of them, leave for another job.

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Yes. At my school it would seem that it's one rule for some and another for those who are leadership's let projects. You can't argue with crazy.
    Pass it on and look to leave. It only gets worse.

4. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I had that before, I was asked to lead a project as subject leader so I sent out an email to staff for ideas and thoughts and got told off by the head.

5. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

I am PE subject leader and was once told off for 'spending money on sports clubs' This money was the sports grant that I had been specifically told to spend! Apparently I should be giving my own time up every night to do these...

6. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

You could write down the sequence of events that you have outlined here and send it to her. Perhaps ask her if it's accurate or if their was something you have misunderstood?

I wonder if the details you have posted could identify you?
    Perhaps ask for the thread to be pulled? Just send them an email...

snowyhead likes this.
  7. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was once asked to prepare a brief outline of a development plan for part of my department. The CofG asked for this, told me a side of A4 would be fine!

I was naive and went ahead with it, but it was more than A4, although I bullet pointed it and kept it concise. At the next FGB, he accused me of not doing what I had been asked to do and that he had asked for a more detailed plan.

I told him he was lying, but knew it was the beginning of the end.

8. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

i was once told off for something i didn't do - the school secretary had done it. she had told me she'd done it, that she'd apologised to HT for doing it and what was said.
    which i was able to point out to HT once she had a go at me in front of all the other staff in the staff room for it.
    that didn't go down well :D

9. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

This has also happened to me. I was told to work on 'creating a reading culture' as per Ofsted guidance and in line with the needs of the students. I was then bollocked for 'wasting learning time' with reading in class...

midnight_angel likes this.
  10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Not quite the same, but along similar lines. Someone is my department was setting up a new initiative and was given finance for some resources. She put together a list of what she wanted, remaining within budget. It as all approved, or so we thought, until I had a memo from the head's PA, querying one or two if the resources ordered, despite the original approval. I was tasked with telling her to take them off the list- not a particularly happy conversation.

About a week later, I was walking across the reception area and heard the head speaking to my colleague. 'Well, it's all Foxtail's fault- she stopped you from buying them.' I was so incensed I couldn't keep quiet and reminded him that the memo had come from him. That bloke was truly the biggest **** I ever met in teaching!

midnight_angel and FolkFan like this.
  11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

@foxtail3 : The sort of thing you describe was a common tactic used by our SMT to sow suspicion of each other among we 'lower orders'. A typical example: teacher A would summoned and told that another member of staff had made a 'serious complaint' against them whose identity, of course, could not be divulged. SMT would then 'leak' the name of teacher B so that it got back to teacher A, identifying them as the complainant, even though the 'complaint' was entirely fictitious. This would cause a bust up between A and B, giving SMT ammunition to use against both of them. If B confronted the SMT they would confirm or deny, depending on the game they had in mind.

Another ploy was to involve the police, which the SMT routinely did for anything it thought was remotely a 'child protection issue'. The police would investigate and question people and nothing would come of it. For those teachers involved, the fact that they had been questioned by the police was then used against them by the SMT. One knock on effect of this policy was that some students soon picked up on the power this gave them to cause trouble for staff.

12. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I think the only course of action that teachers should be taking to scupper allegations of incompetence and negligence is to email the manager who has made the request confirming what has been requested and how you plan to deal with that request. You then have a concrete record of communication which would be very hard to dispute.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Yes, I did everything I was told to do by my line managers after being threatened with capability. When the results turned out bad, well, I lost my job. The fact that I did everything I was told didn't matter, that the instructions were so **** didn't matter. And no-one cared. As in, the system protected itself, no-one was interested in hearing about why it went wrong, just that it had gone wrong and they needed to be seen to take action.

14. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Appalling behaviour (huge sink estate catchment area) - was told to follow the behaviour policy to the letter, which I did - involving reams of paperwork for every step up to passing on to HoD then HoF then SLT after first 3 refusals or failures of classroom teacher sanctions. Was then told I should be managing this behaviour in the classroom (walking out slamming doors, throwing things, destroying other pupils' work, complete refusal to do anything at all - you name it) and/ or sending students out to other classrooms to be babysat if they wouldn't work. Did that - no change - was told I am sending them out too often/I am trying to deal with it in the classroom when I should be following the behaviour policy to the letter (which I was doing until it meant someone else had to take some detentions). Grrr