1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone any experience of fall on forearm and following elbow trouble?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by dominant_tonic, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I am contemplating whether to go to docs or not tomorrow, if I can get an appt (think rocking horse excrement).
    Bare facts:
    • I had a bad fall over a kerb, landing on my forearm tucked underneath me. So forearm took all of weight crashing down on it.
    • Bad bruise, instant swelling.
    • x-rayed forearm no break.
    • I went back a week later, not happy but tested range of motion, and no need for other x-ray.
    • Bruising which was black and going from wrist to around outside of elbow now mostly faded.
    • Arm has a residual ache, still with firm swelling around direct hit site, (mid forearm towards outside), now almost invisible bruising.
    • Pain in elbow and forearm like a dull ache. When I perform a certain action elbow hurts suddenly and so severely for a second that it makes me literally scream out and cry. Then pain subsides.
    • Cannot re-produce the action, and can *** area very firmly wothout ellicting the same pain.
    Would you go to docs? It could be more bruising to come out, and don't know whether to wait and see, or to go and get it checked. Anyone any experience?
    Ta, domton

2. dominant_tonic

dominant_tonic Established commenter

I am contemplating whether to go to docs or not tomorrow, if I can get an appt (think rocking horse excrement).
    Bare facts:
    • I had a bad fall over a kerb, landing on my forearm tucked underneath me. So forearm took all of weight crashing down on it.
    • Bad bruise, instant swelling.
    • x-rayed forearm no break.
    • I went back a week later, not happy but tested range of motion, and no need for other x-ray.
    • Bruising which was black and going from wrist to around outside of elbow now mostly faded.
    • Arm has a residual ache, still with firm swelling around direct hit site, (mid forearm towards outside), now almost invisible bruising.
    • Pain in elbow and forearm like a dull ache. When I perform a certain action elbow hurts suddenly and so severely for a second that it makes me literally scream out and cry. Then pain subsides.
    • Cannot re-produce the action, and can *** area very firmly wothout ellicting the same pain.
    Would you go to docs? It could be more bruising to come out, and don't know whether to wait and see, or to go and get it checked. Anyone any experience?
    Ta, domton

3. It could be a referred pain ... the actual pain centre is elsewhere but the nerves are transferring the pain further along to the elbow?
    I'd give it more time personally. You did have an xray which showed no bone breaks. Things like this take AGES to heal as you may have damaged ligaments and muscle too. There could be all sorts of bruising that still needs to come out. Obviously, if your elbow starts to become really painful / red / hot / swollen then go back for advice asap.
    Hope you feel better soon.