1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone agree that we need a law like this in the UK?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Feb 18, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Especially for teachers pestered/coerced or threatened into working extra hours?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ore-work-emails-outside-contracted-hours.html

France is set to give workers the 'right to disconnect' from work emails outside of their contracted hours in a bid to ease pressure and offer a better work-life balance.

Workers will be able to ignore telephone calls and emails from their bosses during evenings and weekends in an attempt to help them have more of a social life outside of their working week.

France already operates a strict 35-hour working week policy, with workers also enjoying six weeks paid holiday, as well as extremely generous sick leave and striking rights.

delnon and BelleDuJour like this.
  2. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What's not to like about our EU partners?

clermontfed likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I think it is awful that we would need such a law.

MacGuyver and Dragonlady30 like this.
  4. burajda

burajda Star commenter

These sort of laws are why 400,000 French people with ambition and skills choose to live in the UK .

Also note that the 35 hour week does not apply to anyone with management or professional responsibilities nor presumably will this new ridiculous law.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

6. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Yes, but they are there for different reasons. Most of the The French are young and here to work in finance, IT, business and further their careers mostly in London. Most of the English are middle aged and there to downsize and live a softer life in Rural France. The French speak English in London networking in an international community, The English speak English in Dordogneshire in an English community.
    Good luck to all 800,000 of them

silvaran and FritzGrade like this.
  7. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

We don't need any law, just respect for privacy. I never check any work stuff from going home wednesday to monday morning (only work three days now).

8. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

A law wouldn't change much. If people wanted to make your life at work difficult, they'd find a way

We need a cultural change so that people don't feel the need to treat others at work in such a way.

And that won't happen

delnon and Jamietzu like this.
  9. clermontfed

clermontfed Occasional commenter

So the rest of the work force in France has no ambition?
    Regarding the 35 hours, week this applies to everybody, try to tell that it doesn't to my sister ,if you speak French. On second thought you don't need to speak French as she is fluent in English. She also happens to be in charge of the budget for satellite launches in her work.
    It is an interesting fact that the Brits work the longest hours per week compared to the rest of Europe but are the less productive. Food for thoughts, indeed.
    I am one of the 400 000 French citizens who live in the UK and I can't wait to move back home where employees have the right to have a life besides work.
    I am very proud of the new law.

10. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

France is something of a loser nation business wise. What would a multi national set up there?