1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone a staff governor?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lookingfornemo, Jan 18, 2012.

1. 2 vacancies announced today and I'd quite like to do it. Anyone a governor? Does it take up a lot of time? Is it interesting?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I enjoy it, mainly because I'm nosey and like to know what's going on as much as possible! We meet every couple of months usually for around 2-3 hours-which can be tiring after a full day at work but no more so than for anyone else who is a governor and works full time.
    The only difficulty can be if you come into conflict with the Head. It doesn't happen often but you need to be aware it might!

3. I have been a parent governor (Primary) and a staff governor (Secondary.)
    This was a few years ago, so I am not sure how governing bodies currently operate.
    As a parent governor I found the board were mostly rubber-stamping everything the Head wanted to go through. We were guided by him and his suggestions were almost fait-accomplis. He did however have a finger on the pulse and was in close contact with the LA so sometimes there was little room for argument/disagreement.
    As a secondary staff governor I found all the ear-bending my colleagues did was quite disconcerting as their views and ideas were far-ranging and often poles apart. It was quite difficult sometimes to summarise staff views at meetings. I did my best to report back to them fairly and impartially.
    Both were interesting experiences and with each there were sub-commitees on which I had to serve. Finance and staffing were my remits.

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I have been, up until July 2011. Mostly I enjoyed it and found I gained more in deepth knowledge of things, which have helped me with promotions and interviews. e.g a better understanding of the SEF, School development plan, listening to collegues. I was also a HOD and found it interesting hearing the different SLT spin for HODs, Teachers and governor's meetings! Although this was obviously a little boring hearing the same thins 3 times!

5. I've done it. Definately an interesting thing to do - can be a bit of an eye opener at times.
    Downside was the length of the meetings then having to come in and teach the following day after a meeting ending at 9.30 followed by a 40 minute drive home.
    Upside - always good standard of biscuits....
    No - seriously - well worth the experience.

6. Thank you so much for these replies. They are a mixture of what I was thinking myself and the same sort of concerns as well. I know that meetings will be long and I suspect that some of the things will be a straight rubber stamp, but I am quite fair so I hope that I would have the courage to speak up and say what I thought staff views were. The closing date is next Wed so I'll put my name forward in the morning.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I have in th past been staff governor twice ,both in Primary.
    i found it interesting, although tedious at times but one thing you should maintain is independce.You are not the heads dogsbody or the staff....you actually have a decision and you use it based upon what you deem is most important.You do represent staff views and you carry forward the alternative view to the heads.You might need to oppose and on more than one occasion heads have sought to manipulate me to get me on side....... but i vote as to what i felt best for the school.

8. Unless the 'Chair' knows how to 'chair' effectively and efficiently,
    you'll all spend hours and hours in meetings with nothing to show for it
    but a massive pile of next-to-useless minutes.
    Dinkyalwaysdeclaredaneedtofinishpromptlytogotoanothermeetingnom

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I tried if for a year in the vain hope that I might represent staff opinion and found it an utterly pointless toothless rubber-stamping exercise, so I resigned and became a Union rep instead.