1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody using Read Write inc Spelling yet?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by LMAR, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Hi

I know this was only published recently, but has anybody used it/seen it yet?

I am trying to decide how to help my UKS2 children who can read but are poor spellers, there are only a few of them so they will have to receive separate intervention.

Maybe somebody has something else that they could recommend??

Thanks x

2. Hi

I know this was only published recently, but has anybody used it/seen it yet?

I am trying to decide how to help my UKS2 children who can read but are poor spellers, there are only a few of them so they will have to receive separate intervention.

Maybe somebody has something else that they could recommend??

Thanks x

3. We've just ordered the 'Read write Inc' Comprehension and have sent inspection of the spelling.

4. We use Read Write Inc Phonics with our lower ability groups in our junior department. We were all trained in it, but our TA's deliver it to groups of six in reciprocal reading time (30 minutes every day) they start with basic sounds, building into reading and spelling

5. We use Read Write Inc Phonics with our lower ability groups in our junior department. We were all trained in it, but our TA's deliver it to groups of six in reciprocal reading time (30 minutes every day) they start with basic sounds, building into reading and spelling

6. Thanks to both of you for replying!

I have used Read Write Inc Phonics in another school and this is what I was looking for originally when I was browsing around (I love holidays don't you?)But I came across the new Spelling programme - it is billed as being suitable for children who read at 2a or above but who need support with spelling. This seems more suitable to what I need as I have a group of children whose reading comprehension is 2a but are really struggling with spelling.
    I might order an evaluation pack too.

x

7. jlfrith

jlfrith New commenter

We are in our 4th year of RWI and we use the comprehension with the top Y2 children. I got a Spelling evaluation pack a while ago thinking it would do for Y2 to sharpen up the spelling even though it says KS2. It is definitely more KS2 in format so I probably won't use it but it looks fairly straightforward and you get quite a lot for around £25 as far as I can remember. Again, the thing with it is that there are individual books for children which is way beyond our budget but still worth a look at.

8. We are starting the spelling in september, and use the phonics scheme in yr 3, and for some children in yr 4.

9. Thanks Jlfrith and Chocolatejo

I was worried about the individual books as well, but as it is only for a few children in each year group it shouldn't be too bad. What sorts of sounds/spellings does it start with? Does it start with the basics? Is it like the phonics so that you can do an assessment to decide where to start the children? It said somewhere on the website that it was 10 mins a day, is that 10 mins of adult input or could some of the 10 mins be independent (we have very very very little support staff time this year)

Sorry to bombard with questions.

Thanks again

10. I have had a small training session but from what I remember:

Its starts off as very teacher led but most of the activities are designed to be pupil led (working in pairs, peer marking, peer dictation etc). They repeat the same 7/8 activities over and over in the same order, so they willbe trained in the expectations.

It expects all children to be at 2a, which will be interesting as not all of our children are at this level.

It will 10-15 minutes a day.

What worries you about the individual books?

11. Thanks chocolatejo,

I was just concerned about the ongoing cost of having to replace individual booklets - I remember the huge cost of implementing the phonics scheme in my last school, and then you had to keep relacing the writing books.
    But I think that because we only have a small number of children who will need to do it it should be fine.

If some of the activities are independent/paired work it sounds like it might be manageable even though we have little support. Most of the children I need to use it for are working at 2a so it should be ok.

Thanks againg for your help

x

12. We wont have any TA support for the spelling sessions (they will be doing phonics scheme to try and get other children reading), so we aim to do it fine unsupported. I think we'll struggle slightly as we have 2bs and 2cs in with us too....but we'll give it a go.

It is costly, but it is one book for the whole year at least.

13. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

This thread is interesting as we currently use the read write inc phonics and have great success. It has been costly as over the past 2 years we have bought in all the phonics materials and lots of the reading books BUT the levels have imporoved dramatically.

We looked the comprehension but weren't that impressed and bought some by b squared instead. We are now thinking about what to do with spelling though. Does it work like the phonics sessions lower down the school? How long and how often are the children supposed to do it for?

14. Hi

Having only looked at it on the website I am not sure, but from what chocolatejo says it seems that the children use it every day for 10-15mins and that each book lasts a school year.

The phonics scheme worked very well in my last school were achievement on intake was low and in the 2 years we used it it had a big impact, which meant that less and less children in KS2 had to use it because they quickly progressed to a level where they could read within their expected age bracket.

In my new school achievement is higher but there are still a small number of chidren who may have missed out on phonics when they were in KS1 and I think they would benefit from the approach - however buying in and using the whole phonics scheme would not make sense for them so I thought the spelling might be useful. From what others have said it seems suitable for what I need and I'm going to get the evaluation pack for a closer look.

Thanks again everyone!

xxx

15. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

If you decide to use it then let us know how you get on with it!

16. So have been using it for a term now.

I would say it offers a solid system of delivering spelling, but offers nothing that a good teacher could deliver unaided.

The changes it has brought about is regular spelling input - rather than spelling lists sent home, and a focus on a sound - and related spellings of that sound.

Some of the activites are better than others, and I wouldn't say I would recommend buying it again - just using some of the ideas to build into basic skills lessons would be sufficient.

17. Hi all.
    I know this thread is old now, but I just wondered how you are tracking the progress of spelling with the children that are in your spelling groups? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks