1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody out there can help?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by chocoholic2007, Mar 23, 2012.

1. HI
    I am currently looking at doing a production of Alice in Wonderland as the performing rights are not expensive and I am trying to build up my budget to pay for some new lights and equipment. I was wondering if anyone had done Alice in Wonderland before and if they had any advice about putting this play on.
    I was thinking with props to make the large tables and mushrooms etc, but costume wise, have people gone for the full animal outfit, or more suggestive costumes?
    Also the original script has songs in it, does it really matter if I choose to cut a few of these due to students ability? - I only ask as the last full production I did on my own, I wrote myself, so this would be my first solo responsibility project since that one. Prior to this in my old school my HoD did everything.
    I want to have a great performance, but knowing the vocal range of my students, they would not be able to do all the songs, so myself and the other asst director were thinking of cutting them out.
    Basically, I am open for ideas and advice from anyone who has done this production before, it is the original play, not the newest. (adapted by mitchell)
    I hope people can help, as it will be my first production in my new school and I want to do the best job I can as I have large boots to fill from their previous teacher.

Please help.

[​IMG]

2. Hi! :)
    Sounds like an exciting project!
    I would be careful with animal costumes as I think they're quite tricky to pull off. Are you planning on hiring them?

I think your idea for set sounds nice - could you create a lot of the locations with lighting as well?
    I don't think you can cut songs unless you have permission, I'm afraid. Get in touch with the licence holders and ask before you decide anything.
    Hope it all goes really well! :)

3. angelinascullina

angelinascullina New commenter

Hello
    I did Alice in Wonderland a few years ago and I costumed the kids as if they were human versions of their animals......for example the mock turtle was a boy scout with a huge rucksack (like a shell) and there was a parrot in our version so he was a punk with a multicoloured wig, the gryphon was a headmaster with mortar board and beak....I can't remember them all but you get the idea.
    If you are still thinking around ideas and want to find a licensing company who are flexible about cuts then visit www.luckybucket.co.uk (shameless plug). We write shows for schools and stage them ourselves because the kids love them, they are cheap to produce and teachers love us because we give permission to make reasonable cuts because no two casts are the same and the show has to work for you. Anyway, you might be sold on the idea of Alice but just in case have a look and see if we can help you.
    Good luck!
    Angela [​IMG]

4. Hi
    I was thinking of doing the costumes as human versions of their animals, but lighting will do a lot of the work.
    I may have to get in touch with the license holders and check.
    Thanks for the advice!!