1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Moving to Dammam or has lived in Dammam in KSA?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by ychowdhury, Jul 31, 2012.

1. ychowdhury

ychowdhury New commenter

Hi everyone

My husband and I have both recieved our visas to travel to Dammam in Saudi Arabia. We leave in three weeks.

I was wondering what kind of things do I need to pack, In terms of clothes and do i need to overstock on toiletries etc or are there good shopping opportunities with british brands in stock etc so that I dont need to pack too much?

what is the best way to get around? we have been given a driver during term time only.

In terms of food and shopping are all types of food and groceries and meat available?

What is it like teaching arab females in private secondary schools?

Is there anyone that lives there or near dammam who I can befriend?

All help and advice will be most welcome :)

2. Hey glad to hear you sorted the visas. We got ours issued in June. We are also moving to Dammam and have pretty much wrapped things up here so can now spend time with family and friends! Which school are you going to be working at? Ours is in Dhahran. You can PM me the name if u like!

3. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Hi there.
    Cannot offer too much as I simply stayed there for two weeks during Ramadan each year over a 4 year period when I lived in Saudi. Not the latest supermarlet experience but the French firm Carrefour have a little monopoly and you can get most of the basics and brands, though don't expect that moisturiser you enjoy e.g. they'll have Dove but won't have Simple. Stores like Debenhams and Next exist if you like that sort of thing. To be fair, with your Abaya you could be wearing your PJ's underneath; many of the Saudi women wear designer clothes bought in Europe.
    My limited exposure to school life revealed the standards in International Schools are ok, though I felt teaching methods were badly dated; Saudi schools are a nightmare and you could not tempt me with any amount of money to work in an all boys one. Sadly I also have to report that Dammam is a bit of a dump but they have a large modern mall and Bahrain is just over the bridge; enjoy the queues on a weekend.

4. Hows Bahrain over the border then?

5. happygreenfrog

I'd like to reply but . . . don't understand the question. [​IMG]

6. sorry. In terms of difference in life, shopping, working etc etc compared to KSA

7. happygreenfrog

Sorry, don't know. I got half way across the causeway and was put off by the queues.
    Was told plenty of Saudi's spend the weekend there doing all those things Saudi's shouldn't be doing and then load up the cars for the return trip. Must be a right old money spinner..

8. Don't know what you mean?Do you mean Saudi Boys start praying 5 times a day, fasting, respecting people of all nationalities, race, colour, creed, drive sensibly and show basic manners in Bahrain? Must be a wonderful place then.

9. ychowdhury

ychowdhury New commenter

hi kulsumy. I have Pm you

10. ychowdhury

ychowdhury New commenter

Thanks for your help happygreenfrog :)

11. Hasn't anyone warned you about the political situation in Bahrain and indeed, in part of the Eastern regions of Saudi Arabia? There's massive ongoing unrest in Bahrain, and there have been recent outbreaks in Qatif in KSA, which isn't so far from Dammam.
    Myself, I'd think twice about going anywhere near the region just now...

12. happygreenfrog

When I went to Saudi 8 years ago, I was warned by all and sundry as a foreigner had recently been kidnapped from the car park and lost his head. In all my time there i never felt threatened though of course I didn't take chances, as I wouldn't anywhere in the world. The Saudis have a tight grip on most regions and I'd doubt you'd see what has happened in other arabic speaking countries.

13. Vehars comments are uncalledfor and scaremongering. You can go anywhere in the world and find trouble and be at threat. Bahrain is well and truly under control whilst Dammam has always had the odd idiot found with illegal materials. Unless vehar has specific recent evidence I suggest he keeps his thoughts to himself when folk are about to take up posts with families.

14. Vehars comments are uncalledfor and scaremongering. You can go anywhere in the world and find trouble and be at threat. Bahrain is well and truly under control whilst Dammam has always had the odd idiot found with illegal materials. Unless vehar has specific recent evidence I suggest he keeps his thoughts to himself when folk are about to take up posts with families.

Well, pardon me for trying to help people who may be going into a situation they really haven't fully
    grasped .... which they won't have if they're swallowing lock, stock & barrel the government propaganda take on the situation there, which of course is fully backed by the US & the UK governments, so they won't hear any of the reality of the situation from the embassies there either.
    Here are just a few recent links: these videos are available on the Internet, and are not faked. Of course, the government version ... there and here... will claim that this is a situation that's 'under control'.
    It is true that the situation there need not involve expats, who are usually under government protection, which can also 'protect' them from local reality.
    If people know the reality, and then make an informed choice, that's different: that's their own lookout. But anyone who's going to the Middle East just now really ought to be fully informed of the situation, and shouldn't just accept a sanitized version.
    BAHRAIN:

http://www.boston.com/news/world/middleeast/articles/2012/08/04/daughter_of_bahrain_rights_activist_detained/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHxgQiILb1A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-UukN-Rxw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhjfiZ4PHQA

Qatif:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/27/us-saudi-protests-idUSBRE86Q0WB20120727

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWQu7K7wt4A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

15. Vehars comments are uncalledfor and scaremongering. You can go anywhere in the world and find trouble and be at threat. Bahrain is well and truly under control whilst Dammam has always had the odd idiot found with illegal materials. Unless vehar has specific recent evidence I suggest he keeps his thoughts to himself when folk are about to take up posts with families.

I've posted a response to this uncalled-for attack, but it's being 'moderated', and may not make it to publication. Standing by....

16. Unless vehar has specific recent evidence I suggest he keeps his thoughts to himself when folk are about to take up posts with families.

There's plenty of recent evidence; it depends what you want to see. And these are not 'my thoughts'; these are representations of what's really happening in Bahrain. (Couldn't post the ones on Qatif; but they're on youtube; you can find it all on Google. If you're interested)

17. happygreenfrog

No need to worry about Qatif.
    When the Al Saud's get their hands on the instigators - and they surely will as they allegedly offer high bribes for information - they will execute them immediately, so there will be no further trouble. Oh, wait a minute . . . [​IMG]