1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody know any good reading comprehension books and word level work books?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pottyparrot, Aug 13, 2012.

1. During my guided reading, I want some worksheets\work for the children to work on independently so I'm after some photocopiable masters for reading comprehension and sheets for word level work. Can anyone recommend any books for this? :)

2. We use A&C Black books in school I think they are called Word and Sentence Level - look at the Y5 ones maybe!

3. I have several books for different things from Topical Resources. I like them because they are not over fussy.
    http://www.topical-resources.co.uk/

4. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I don't know if you could use the resource I uploaded on inference

Normal

https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6048490 - some teachers have made nice comments about it. I designed it for an older child with adequate decoding skills for the actual reading but great gaps in getting meaning out of text. You would perhaps have to retype the questions with no clues for children to use them without someone leading the work!

5. beethan31

beethan31 New commenter

We use Collins Primary Focus reading comprehension books.
    My Y3/4 class really enjoyed them as they could work through them (mostly) independently. The books have 3 levels of tasks relating to a piece of text. The texts are a fiction/non-fiction and poetry and are within the book.
    My class had reading comprehension exercise books and so they worked from the text books, but wrote in their exercise books. It worked well as part of my guided reading carousel.