1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody here passed a GCSE equivalency test for PGCE entry?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by starsinmycrown, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Hi, i thought I'd ask this here as obviously you guys did pass it...

I have been given an offer for Secondary English, but this is subject to an equivalency test. I'm doing maths GCSE at the moment but i am told that, due to the situation this year, they cannot waste a place on somebody who may or may not get maths gcse in july. So i have to take a test.

Has anybody done this test? I am okay with grade C level foundation GCSE, but i am concerned that these papers might be complex. Nobody knows anything about this and I was wondering if there was any info. I know somebody who failed her science and maths for primary, and I know warwick's is 2hrs. I don't think it's a walk in the park....

Thanks!

2. Hi, i thought I'd ask this here as obviously you guys did pass it...

I have been given an offer for Secondary English, but this is subject to an equivalency test. I'm doing maths GCSE at the moment but i am told that, due to the situation this year, they cannot waste a place on somebody who may or may not get maths gcse in july. So i have to take a test.

Has anybody done this test? I am okay with grade C level foundation GCSE, but i am concerned that these papers might be complex. Nobody knows anything about this and I was wondering if there was any info. I know somebody who failed her science and maths for primary, and I know warwick's is 2hrs. I don't think it's a walk in the park....

Thanks!

3. You mention Warwick - is that whose test you are doing? The best thing you can do it try and get copies of past papers or the syllabus. I did an equivalency test - not at Warwick and it didn't cover all areas of GCSE Maths.

4. irishthatshowiroll

irishthatshowiroll New commenter

Ha anyone done the Math equivalency test for UEL? for the PGCE in Primary. Or know where I can get some info also? Thanks in advance

5. Hey Irishthatshowiroll... Love the name. I have done the maths equivalency tesr for UEL and I have did the science and I did the PGCE Primary. If you want help then inbox me and with all your questions and I will try and help you. I would need to know are you doing maths equivalency for GCSE or are you talking about the maths audit. Both are very straightforward and I am happy to help.

6. I did maths GCSE and maths equivalency. I was in a similar position to you. I was given some test papers to work through and the questions were basically the same as the GCSE paper I sat later in the year. As I remember I was given a list of areas I needed to revise for. Hope this helps
    Good luck

7. irishthatshowiroll

Hey,
    Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it. I sent you a wee message there. Your a star thanks.

8. I did an equivalency test. The Uni gave me a past paper and told me to revise everything in it, which I did and I passed. Ask for a past paper or a revision list. I was very nervous about the whole thing but if I can do it (17 years after leaving school), so can you. Good luck!

9. irishthatshowiroll

Hi lola5155,
    Thank you for the reply, I emailed a lady in admissions and she said that they do not offer any study material but that il find papers online!!!! She said the two papers 'calculator and non-calculator' would be past papers from either AQA or OCR...
    Should I maybe just study everything on each paper from say 2007? Gosh its so hard to know...

10. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Go into your nearest learn direct and enrol on level 2 adult literacy. It is an online test, took me the whole of 2 hours a week over 3 weeks. Which I completed and it is A-C GCSE equivilent.

ITS FREE TO DO AS WELL

The system above worked for me.

11. The thing to do before you take any equivalency test it to ensure that your provider will accept this. It is at the provider's discretion whether or not they accept any equivalency test. So if you intend to take one that is not set by the provider, then do check. James

12. Hi
    I did my Uni test a couple of years ago, but I recall that there were a lot of questions on data handling/graphs etc. It wasn't doddle, but I suppose has to be truly equivilent, so not too easy.
    Before hand, I went through one of those GCSE Maths revision 'fun books', Collins or similar and that really helped, so the test wasn't too scary!
    Good luck :)

13. AAARRGGHHH.

I just got it in the post, the past papers. I am totally screwed. This is at Leicester.

It wants you to do all this X, Y, A, B ,C stuff, PLUS know things like the nth term and quadratic equations. I have sat the AQA syllbus before, and this seem almost entirely comprised of module 5 about shape and space. I was good at the other too modules too...

Great.

What pass mark do you need to get?

14. Hi mrpag,

I was just searchin the net for info on pgce equivalency test in science. Have to do one for UEL. I see yo mention that you have done it and I'm wondering whether you have any info on it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

15. Hey I know this is an old thread, but I have a math equivalency exam for UEL was wondering could you shed some light on it please!

16. Equivalency tests will vary slightly from provider to provider, but they aim, naturally to ensure that you are at least at Grade C Maths. These are perfectly acceptable for entry to ITT. I can see their logic as this year places are controlled and we cannot under-recruit. The provider should provide a 'specification' of what the test should cover.

James

17. hi, I just came across this thread. I'm going to be doing Maths equivalency for UEL too. Which one will you be doing?

18. sorry just read your doing maths too. Have you done it already? I'm doing it on 26th August, just booked it today. So I have only 2 weeks to revise...feeling so anxious

19. Ashlinn01

Ashlinn01 New commenter

If I have just finished my GCSE Maths equivilancy test will I need to still do a skills test considering that it was last week?

20. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Every future teacher has to do the numeracy and literacy skills tests, regardless of their qualifications.