1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody had a child with cancer (their own)?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by MarianH, Mar 16, 2012.

1. MarianH

MarianH New commenter

This did have paragraphs!

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I've not experienced it but didn't want to 'read and run' without wishing you and your child all the very best. I don't envy you the tough times you're having.

It might be worth seeking advice from your union and one of the big cancer charities.

3. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I don't have a child with it, but my mum was diagnosed with Leukaemia at the weekend and has just started chemo. I am due back at work in April after maternity leave, but I live nearly 300 miles away from my parents. I'm staying at their house now with my dad (my husband and kids too, although he has to go back to work soon). I'm really worried about work and what to do.
    My mum will be in hospital for another 3 weeks now, then home for a week. They doctor thinks it'll be successful, but even so she still has to go back for 3 more lots, so will be done by July. So i'll know in a couple of weeks if the first lot has worked. If so, i'll feel more confident that I can go back home. If it doesn't work though, i don't want to be 6 hours away.
    I would hope that your school are being understanding. I can't imagine any of your colleagues having a problem with you being off. Your child is ill, they come first. They should also understand that you still have a mortgage to pay, bills etc.
    I'd say continue as you are and fingers crossed your child will be ok at the end of the year, and you can resume working normally.

4. My daughter developed Hodgkin's lymphoma when she was 20, and in her second year at uni. We never thought she wouldn't recover, so she did. And completed her pharmacy qualifications with first class honours. She is now a pharmacy manager at 24, living with her boyfriend in Warwickshire, and currently in Morocco on holiday. God gave us all strength

5. MarianH

MarianH New commenter

Thank you for all of your replies.

I am pleased that your daughter is doing well now bobvincent. It is lovely to read about young people who have overcome this horrible disease. My daughter is 13.

6. MarianH

MarianH New commenter

I really hope that your mum gets through her chemo successfully Chica77. I totally understand why you want to be close. My family are not that far away, but far enough for it to be a journey to see them (2hr round trip). As a result, we have been in it by ourselves for much of the time, which makes it even more tough.

School have been good; it is just such a long time. Treatment for ALL in girls is just over 2 years. It doesn't help that she's been very up and down with it. Some days she can manage school and feels well, others she is totally wiped out. They think she has a liver condition on top of the cancer now too. It seems never ending.

I will be thinking of you and your mum. Best wishes.

7. MarianH

MarianH New commenter

Thanks to seren too. :)

8. I wish you and your daughter all the best. Never give up hope. Stay strong

9. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I have no experience of cancer but I have had a child who was very ill with something else and I know how desperate you feel and how draining it is. I hope things start picking up and I wish you and your daughter all the best.

10. Sorry I can't really offer you any advice (I don't have children) but I just wanted to say I wish you and your daughter all the best and I hope she eventually makes a full recovery. It must be so hard for both of you.