1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else waiting for America...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by salofi, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Waiting to hear back from a set of jobs in USA that closed last week....
    Just wondered if anyone else was waiting for the same positions/had heard anything yet?

2. Waiting to hear back from a set of jobs in USA that closed last week....
    Just wondered if anyone else was waiting for the same positions/had heard anything yet?

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Just in case you're lucky to be offered something, a little advisory. America is a large continent. It has many countries and some of the folk from some of the countries outside of the USA do get annoyed at gringos who refer to the USA as America to the exclsuion of the rest of the continent.

4. Well, if we're really going to be picky there is no such continent as America...they are called North America and South America, and beyond that the person posing the question clearly stated that they were waiting on hearing from the USA - a country, not a continent.

5. Being new on this forum, I was actually trying to avoid the referring to specific schools issue... figured that people would work out what I meant if I put America in the title as the schools also contain this word in their name...

Next time I will be more specific in order to avoid the wrath of MisterMaker! Perhaps you should also contact said schools to let them know that their name might be offensive to others.

6. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

7. Excellent. Another opportunity to upset our American distant, distant, distant, not distant enough, distant cousins. [​IMG]
    They are like a big brother aren't they, but fat and loud.

8. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

Latin Americans will often be quick to assure you that 'gringo' is not a pejorative term. Don't believe it. Even a friend of mine, falling over her words when speaking too quickly, exclaimed ¡Ay! Estoy hablando gringo!
    In my salad days (when I was green in judgement and even more tactless than I am now) I exclaimed to a friend from Mississippi: 'Bill, you're not at all like an American. I mean, you don't eat burgers, you read books, you play the piano and you go to the opera.'

9. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

What's the difference between our colonial cousins and a yoghurt?
    If you leave a yoghurt long enough it will develop a culture

I'll get my coat

10. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

I should take great umbrage at the aspersions being cast on my home country. But seeing as how I have chosen to live (hopefully for the foreseeable future) outside of said country, I am willing to admit that where there is smoke, there may be a bit of fire.
    Not that the representatives of other countries that I meet abroad are always prize winners. For example, I often find myself trying to talk football (and yes I mean soccer) with some of these people and find that they have absolutely no interest. Do you kick out the ones that don't fancy football?

11. MisterMaker

In many expat bars you're more likely to hear:
    and did the countenance device shine forth uopon our clouded hiil?
    and was Jerusalem builded here among these dark satanic mills
    than:
    walk on, walk with hope in your heart, and you'll never walk alond
    on a Saturday afternoon
    Nevertheless, get two British guys sat with a pint in each hand you're likely to hear them talk footie at some point in the evening.

12. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Established commenter

I drink my pints one at a time. They seem to last longer that way.
    Not if I'm one of them
    Wrong again. Football is a completely 'point' less activity.

13. MisterMaker

I'm talking about normal northern blokes, who can sup their beer all night and see a walk to the bar as negative down time, not end of Wigan pier light entertainment types. [​IMG]
    On the otherhand, normal northnern blokes aren't the ones you often see in expat bars, hence the sounds of Jerusalem on a Saturday afternoons.

14. I am waiting to hear from these schools too. Have you heard anything yet?

15. Yes - I got an email on Saturday inviting me to interview next week.
    Did you apply for a specific position (as listed on the site) or just (as I did) a general KS1/2 position?

16. Though, when I spoke to them before hearing, I was told that everyone would hear 'something' (even if it's just that you're not successful this time) so if you haven't heard anything yet you still might get an interview.

17. I applied for a specific post of Art Teacher. Still haven't heard anything so fingers crossed that they haven't contacted everyone yet!

18. It was for a specific post of Art Teacher in Houston. Hopefully they haven't got in touch with everyone yet!

19. Be very careful. Make sure the job is right for you and that you are not only chosing it for the location! Make sure you speak to a number of teachers at the school, including some who are leaving before you accet a job. There is usually a reason why a large number of people leave at the same time!!