1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else fed up with chicken???

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Chicken is yummy!

Chicken and Chips
    Chicken stew with big fluffy dumplings
    Chicken Sandwiches
    Chicken Offal in Rice
    Sticky BBQ Chicken
    Thai Chicken
    Chicken Peri-Peri
    And more Roast Chicken Dinners - with stuffing and roasties and yorkshires!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

We don't eat much chicken, eat more beef and lamb.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

I'm not a huge fan of chicken. I'd never order it in a restaurant. I think it needs a lot of additional flavours to be tasty and I agree that even the top of the range birds are nowhere near as tasty as rabbit, lamb or beef.
    As for paying a tenner for a bird: fine for small families, but there are six of us and one chicken=one meal. Not really an option. Given the choice, I'd hardly ever buy chicken, but my family like it so I just flavour it as much as possible and eat it with stoicism!
    Maybe I'm unique in that I don't really like roast chicken, it's OK cold but I dislike it warm....

4. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I love chicken but only ever buy free range. Corn fed are a waste of time (unless free range).....they are just yellow! Organic doesn't taste very different either, it's the free range that makes the difference.
    Some years ago a friend of mine used to raise cockerels on his farm. They were totally free range and wandered around, eating bugs and grass and plants until he slaughtered and dressed them himself and sold you one if you were lucky enough. They were big birds, 5-8lbs, and when roasted both smelt and tasted like nothing on earth! They almost had a slightly gamey flavour which was intense and delicious. Made all other chickens taste like cardboard! Even better than poulet Bresse!
    Sadly he gave up the farm and I've never been able to source such birds anywhere else.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Ah, Belle, that reminds me of my great Cockerel Disaster. I bought a couple and put them in the freeaer in Brum. Sadly, something went wrong with the fridge and the power was interrupted for just enough time to long enough time to thaw them. This was during a dustman strike, so I was faced with a disposal problem and I ended up sneaking up the road with them at night and dropping them over a bridge onto the railway embankment. Some fox must have been happy.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Last night was the first chicken we had eaten since having M'ssakhan 4 weeks ago.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

...I think I might have missed the point of the thread...

But...I'm still not bored of chicken as we eat it quite rarely, mainly because good chicken is expensive. Probably about once a month or less. We only eat meat about twice a week anyway, and there are plenty of other meats to be gettting on with!
    We usually buy whole chickens and either cook them whole or portion them as it's far more economical than buying portions, although we often buy thighs and wings as they're cheap. Rarely breasts alone, if ever. You can buy a whole chicken for not much more than the price of a couple of breasts.

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Chicken is our main meat source, but we are rarely fed up with it as it is so versatile.
    How many people are you trying to feed on what budget? We may be able to suggest some ideas that do not "feel" like chicken!!

9. BelleDuJour

H......forget chicken. Your pasta last night was food of the gods! When can I come again? Oops......sorry, my turn next! [​IMG]
    Seriously, I had such fun and thank you so much [​IMG]

10. henriette

henriette New commenter

B: last night was treat : I am not supposed to eat prawns more that once a month because apparently I have "high blood pressure". I ask you - consider my job and re-evaluate my lifestyle please!

11. BelleDuJour

Ah....but those prawns were soooooooo yummy they make you feel sooooooo good and that lowers your blood pressure! Sorted! [​IMG]