1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any work so far?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Patontheback, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Patontheback

Patontheback New commenter

Have people been getting day to day supply work? I’ve had nothing from my 2 agencies so far. I called to give my availability to one of them and was told they’ve been surprisingly busy this week. I don’t really believe him as many schools didn’t return until Monday. Hmmm

2. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

A friend of mine in the same agency as me has done four days this week.

peakster, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  3. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Established commenter

Have you tried signing up to more then one agency? As long as there are not clauses or restrictions in how many you can sign up to, then I would sign up to as many as possible... and hope for the best!

Patontheback and pepper5 like this.
  4. Yoshicake

Yoshicake New commenter

I was booked to cover a teacher who had a holiday in one of the 'no' countries from the start of term (last Wednesday) until this coming Monday. So have had almost 2 weeks of work so far.It's been the earliest booking I have ever had on supply.

I am booked in a trial paid day on Tuesday to maybe lead to work til half term or even June.

It's been busy so far for me as a primary supply living in a city. I am with 2 agencies but getting all the work from one.

5. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

I have work until mid October due to illness. Nobody else has been ill - yet. No agencies, direct from previous maternity cover. Judging by the fact that everyone's charging around to be in the right place for staggered starts, double booked slots etc there could be more work as everyone will be a gibbering wreck. I think it's important to note that schools could well limit their supply staff. They're possibly limiting who goes in and out. I'm known in a dept in a school. But someone recently retired from the dept and higher up the pecking order is also coming back to do supply / catch up which worries me for future work. Along with 2 cover supervisors, this effectively excludes all other supply.
    I have been worried about the Teach First graduate impacting on supply. Perhaps needlessly. Their problems have been in the news. For 'my' school TF don't even seem to be on the radar here in The Shire. That could change. But for now they can't beat the flexibility & experience of supply. Still think if you've got other options, explore them: supply gets more and more precarious.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The pressures on teachers because of the virus are so great that people will be falling over in a month. Should be good news for supply teachers.

A new innovation for our school is that we are now all sent the cover list in the morning. Last week was the first full week of term, usually a pretty easy week when you would expect all teachers to be in.

There were 6 members of staff off yesterday - two were on courses, the others were already ill.

7. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

An agency consultant told me that schools are looking for long term Supply Teachers...no short term.

Happyregardless likes this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

For now - most schools can cover internally.

In a month that will not be the case.

bella2891, pepper5, Yoda- and 2 others like this.
  9. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Hold tight..the openings are fast approaching ...by October half term. Guaranteed, if we are not back in lockdown.

Happyregardless and Yoda- like this.
  10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

That is the problem.

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

In normal times work increases around half term. I expect that with people getting ill as they normally do and COVID Schools will have little choice but to eventually use supply. Obviously some supply will have decided to be unavailable for the duration of the pandemic and others may just get fed up waiting and looked for other opportunities.

12. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I think the problem is that schools will see "our staff" as the only pool and outsiders as infected. They'd probably opt to shut down rather than bring dirty infected supply in.

If this utter madness does not stop (and it's not showing any signs of abating, despite the hospitals being nigh on EMPTY) the whole country is going to crash.

My mother has just been told her cancer has spread and is inoperable.

Her hospital time was majorly delayed by this fking nonsense.

Since it appears that the virus has mutated into a less deadly form, what on earth are our leaders playing at. Rule of 6, 10pm curfews.

The god damn local hospital is EMPTY.

The only thing that can explain this madness is conspiracy.

What are they playing at?

Oh, I have a cold now. ***.

agathamorse and peakster like this.
  13. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Since we opened 8 days ago, we have had supply in 3 different year groups for a total of 5 and a half days.

Happyregardless and peakster like this.
  14. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi elvis

I am very sorry to hear about your mum.

15. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I have had now't so far.

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  16. hankay

hankay Occasional commenter

I never even got a response after sending in my CV to a few agencies, lol.

Imagine being rejected for signing up to an agency. Wow, I must be something else! :eek:

Jolly_Roger15 likes this.
  17. BenjaminBoxer

BenjaminBoxer New commenter

Beavering away on medium term supply. Coping with non availability of rooms and tutor groups irritated by multiple tutor times to stagger lunch times. Coping with having to scoot across school to be in 2 places at once. But is something interesting happening. Multiple absences today, Wk2 Day 1, across KS3. I gather 1 or 2 parents unhappy at being asked to keep sniffly kids at home- normally all praise for dragooning children into school. But not now. Gather reception class in one feeder primary decimated by student and staff absence. On the one hand they're just succumbing to all those bugs they never got exposed to in lockdown. But on the other, if they can pick up these things , they can pick up.... Of course small kiddies don't distance etc. But those KS3 kids are supposed to be sanitising etc. Bit scary. This is The Shire where Covid is v rare (just heard present in housing estate under a mile away from home- holiday in Croatia). Bit scary in terms of life. Good for work in the short term but beyond that v worrying.

Jolly_Roger15 and agathamorse like this.
  18. No work here yet and schools have been back 9 days already. Am in North West.
    I am worried - I have seen quite a few TA jobs of late. I regret not going for them now. I might have no choice but to apply for a job I've seen going as a cover supervisor.
    Is it usually this slow or have I just forgotten what Septembers are like?

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  19. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi

Usually it does not to pick up until after the first half term. There will,however, always be exceptions and some will have work and others won't. Nine days isn't long.

I would not panic yet.

20. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

I have spoken to two agencies today, one phoned me to let me know the situation, in that is very quiet, as is the case this time of year, the problem is that they are also covering internally. I nearly had a job this morning, but the school manage to cover internally. The other agency said they lost two jobs this morning for the same reason, combine this with many schools having two or more CS, then with students being off due to virus or pretence of having the virus then there is less need for supply. I have been doing supply, since Moses was studying his three 'R's and I will be worried, if it does not pick up after the half-term and will need to put on my work boots for other work. I have seen a part-time CS role (3 days a week and decent money), which seems tempting, if I am honest, in that i could combine it with supply teaching. However I will be dressed and ready in the morning, more in hope then expectation, I still think that schools will need supply soon, but they may go for supply they know and to some extent trust, and who also know the kids, in the main.

Elvispenhaligon, I am sorry to hear about your mother, my thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.