1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any wisdom for Continuous Provision in year 1?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by icxcnika, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Hello
    I am wondering if there is any wisdom out there among year one teachers regarding planning for continuous provision and national curriculum in year one? I am new to the year group but am very keen to 'get the best of both worlds' in terms of having a good Early Years feel and a key stage one focus? I would love to hear from you if you are already planning for this!

Thanks!

2. In my year 1 classroom the first (old) term was spent using the reception timetable, meeting the gaps in the children's learning. Lots of child initiated learning. As we moved into the spring term, the child initiated learning was still present (helps being a CLJ school) but we had moved on to NC objectives.

3. We have just started doing this too (i.e. EYFS setting for at least first 1/2 term), and are planning to move towards integrating more 'formal' learning after Christmas, as per poster above.
    There's an awesome thread on the Early Years section about transition for Y1 - check it out, I found it incredibly helpful.

Kate

4. comenius

comenius New commenter

I have all continuous provision areas available throughout the year. The CP activities link into the half termly theme and tend to change weekly. I actually only have 2 tables (add a craft table). The children work on these on the year 1 national curriculum objectives. So there are only ever 2 groups working at a table, the rest are accessing continuous provision. I anticipate it being like this for the whole year. If you would like a look at my topic web and CP web and 'outline' weekly plans for Autumn 1 I can e-mail you them.

5. check out this thread, went into detail about how i run transition in my year 1 (very EY focused) - loads of ideas from lots of y1 teachers too [​IMG] https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/337428.aspx
    I uploaded a Y1 sample of planning too, link is somewhere in that thread..its not perfect and we are changing to child initiated learning this year but its a start if stuck on planning [​IMG]

6. Hi Comenius, would you mind e mailing them to me too?
    p.s. good user name :)

7. superfurrygirlum@yahoo.com

8. Yes please comenius, that sounds really helpful. Thanks
    subsub@gmail.com

9. Hi Comenius,
    If its not too much trouble could I have a look at how you plan for continous provision too?
    donnabrownrigg@hotmail.com
    Thank you

10. Hi
    Thank you so much for your reply that is very helpful. I would LOVE to see your topic web, CP web and 'outline' weekly plans for Autumn 1 if you don't mind emailing them to me that would be great! hlis100@googlemail.com

Thanks again!

11. schlairtay

schlairtay New commenter

12. Could
    I

13. Could
    I be

14. Could
    I be added

15. Could
    I be added to

16. Could