1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any wildlife experts - little injured bird?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by fishandchips, Aug 14, 2011.

1. fishandchips

fishandchips New commenter

Thought someone on here might know something about this stuff as I know sod all.
    I saw a little bird fly into our window with a thud, it hopped around for a few seconds looking confused and then went to sit by the wall and just sat there really still for a long time. It shook itself occassionally for the first few minutes and then just sat still for ages, I thought it would fly away after a while but it didn't. I thought it maybe just needed a little time to get over the shock and was going to leave it, but there was cat prowling around and it was just sitting there. So I read on a website the best thing to do is to put it in a box or something to recover and it will start scrabbling around when it's recovered and ready to fly off, so I couldn't just leave it there for the cat.
    At the moment the bird is in a shoe box with air holes and lined with kitchen roll and tissues (I picked it up gently with a tea towel) . Have left it in the hall as its quiet there...
    But now I've done all this I am wondering what to do for the best now. All is quiet in the box, I don't want to open it too soon and frighten it, but then the trauma of going to the vets in the car might be too much for it.
    I am thinking I will just leave it for a while and then open the box outside to see if it is able to fly away and then ring the vets if it's not flying, as probably means it's injured.
    Any further advice?
    Poor little bird :(( I think it's a sparrow

2. fishandchips

fishandchips New commenter

Thought someone on here might know something about this stuff as I know sod all.
    I saw a little bird fly into our window with a thud, it hopped around for a few seconds looking confused and then went to sit by the wall and just sat there really still for a long time. It shook itself occassionally for the first few minutes and then just sat still for ages, I thought it would fly away after a while but it didn't. I thought it maybe just needed a little time to get over the shock and was going to leave it, but there was cat prowling around and it was just sitting there. So I read on a website the best thing to do is to put it in a box or something to recover and it will start scrabbling around when it's recovered and ready to fly off, so I couldn't just leave it there for the cat.
    At the moment the bird is in a shoe box with air holes and lined with kitchen roll and tissues (I picked it up gently with a tea towel) . Have left it in the hall as its quiet there...
    But now I've done all this I am wondering what to do for the best now. All is quiet in the box, I don't want to open it too soon and frighten it, but then the trauma of going to the vets in the car might be too much for it.
    I am thinking I will just leave it for a while and then open the box outside to see if it is able to fly away and then ring the vets if it's not flying, as probably means it's injured.
    Any further advice?
    Poor little bird :(( I think it's a sparrow

3. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I think you have done the best you could considering there was a cat about. If the cat had not been there I would have just left it alone. It could well be stunned and just need time to recover. Put the box out again and lift lid just keep a close eye out for cats. Good luck.

4. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

You should offer it a snack as an apology for owning a window.
    Poor thing.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Wait till you hear it singing, 'I'm Only a Poor Little Sparrow'.

6. Sometimes they recover and flutter off. We used to put them on the garage roof, where quite often they would be fussed over by other birds. We never knew what sort they were so never knew what to offer for food. I used to put some bits of bread, some Trill (we used to have a budgies) and a couple of worms in the box, with some water. Now I come to think of it, the other birds probably thought they'd found an all-you-can-eat buffet and pecked the injured bird to death to get at it.
    But sometimes they are more injured than you think and/or die of shock.
    Lovely fluffy Nature.

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Leave the box with the lid off somewhere (on top of a bush maybe?) where the cat shouldn't reach it, and hope the cat isn't a fan of 'Mission Impossible'.