1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips on managing a noisy reception class and bad behaviour?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by blueberries, May 27, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I teach reception and have some really noisy children in my class. A few girls especially, they fight ( physically pinch, scratch, kick etc, not to mention the name calling) and one (A) who will scream and cry if she is hurt (usually after she hurts someone else) or wants a toy etc. I am teaching in a tiny space with a limited outdoor area which i feel does not help the situation. No TA either so no support / anyone to bounce off/split children up etc.
    Any suggestions on how I can handle this?
    Also wondered if anyone had any suggestions for children who will not sit on the carpet quietly / not sit on the carpet atall - I have one little girl (A) who will not ever sit on the carpet sometimes ( she sits on a chair) and nothing I say or do will get her off it if she decides she needs to be on it. Have tried both rewards and punishments and she just does as she pleases!
    Any tips greatly appreciated, I have another 7 weeks of these children and need some tips to get through it!!

Thanks so much!! [​IMG]

2. Hi, there was a thread on the behaviour section recently with lots of good ideas. Regarding the 'not sitting on the carpet' have you tried using separate little mats, either the geometric flat shapes some schools have or the carpet squares that come from carpet shops. It gives each child their own space and with a bit of positive 'selling' can be made to seem a very attractive option which might get the child off the chair and on to the floor. Good luck, I'm sure there will be lots of excellent advice coming shortly.

3. Can I ask, is there a particular time when they fight? I had two boys that would get into trouble with eachother during transition times. I was able to minimise this by having them at separate desks on opposite sides of the room, having spots for them on the floor (I found cute little colourful round rugs which just fit one child but a cross marked with masking tape/electrical tape would do), sending them to and from their desks at different times and having ordered lines when moving about (same position in the line each time).
    Essentially, this meant that they were kept apart as much as possible. I also introduced a 'friendship/caring' tree and placed it outside the classroom for all to see (inc parents). When a student did or said something nice I wrote it of the leaf and they were able to add it to the tree. It really increased kind behaviour in the classroom. If that fails, quick and easily administered consequences as soon as behaviour occurs. ie. Warning 1...2...thinking table...time out from games. Make sure the game you decide to play is something they love and ignore any misbehaviours regarding sitting out.
    I'm sure you are doing most of this already though!