1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for yr9 behaviour.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by Estellia, Apr 25, 2012.

1. PS Hadn't actually realised I was posting in the behaviour forum, or that there was one.. lucky accident, don't know how. But just to say I'm reading through all the posts on yr9 behaviour now as I see it's been a subject.. thanks

2. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

I don't think I've read or could come up with a better summary of year 9, and I agree with you that "oh that's year 9's for you" is pretty lame. In fact to me, it's defeatist SMT-speak for "we haven't a clue". After all, even if there were a behaviour policy, what use would it be if were not enforced?
    And as for getting them on task immediately, this is another cop-out. As you say, there is no real teaching, but it's all the rage. Some people call it independent learning. If that were really the case, why would we need teachers?
    I'm afraid I can't offer much more than sympathy, but you do have good lessons. In that respect as well, you are not on your own.

3. I wd be inclined to be more strict rather than less - but I can see this is tricky when others are not joining you in this approach.
    I think you need to make it very clear to the class that the kind of bad behaviour they are routinely showing is not acceptable and will be sanctioned from now on. For instance, jeering at another pupil who has been sanctioned will result in a punishment for the jeer-er. They must know they're being obnoxious but they just find it too enjoyable to stop - so you have to take any fun out of it by punishing them, especially if they continue when you have made it clear they musn't.
    Getting them on task immediately is effective *if* you make it a very short task and make it link to previous lessons so that they are actually doing something valuable. For instance instead of asking an opening question to introduce the topic / aim - have it on the board and make them write their answers. If they won't settle for this then do a cloze activity using the key words for the lesson or similar. Write up on the board who comes first, second and third to put the emphasis on working hard and concentrating and aim to provoke interest and attention in the topic rather than in misbehaving. I think a very short task like this is almost always worthwhile if it gets them quiet and settled at the start. They sd then find it much easier to let you dominate and do some chalk and talk afterwards on a related topic.
    I think you're quite right not to want to talk over pupils but again it is often hard to keep to this when other teachers don't. I wd explain very clearly that *you* need them to be silent when you're addressing the class and go on a bit about why it's important. Then stick to it religiously and refuse to go on talking if they break the rule. If they're doing it on purpose they need escalating punishments.

4. Joannanna

Joannanna New commenter

I have a challenging year 9 class this year who I really disliked at the start - top group, able, but also non-stop chatters, keen to undermine where possible. It was a long long battle but I think I'm there now. Just about! We still have grotty days, but I try and approach it with a sense of humour which has worked. Some of my methods (probably quite unorthodox in places) have included:
    - no tolerance - as soon as one of the ringleaders started they were out to my HoD - who is more than willing to cooperate. He then removed them for a lesson and gave them the choice to go back and behave or leave the set for good. They like being top group so that worked for some.
    - I have one real tearaway who was very defiant at first. To be honest, I humour her and tolerate some of her eccentricities because she's able and quite keen at heart. Now she sets the (good) standard for the others - and because she's popular, no one wants to hack her off!
    - we do the register standing behind chairs which they dislike and so they shut up so they can sit down quicker. Then they copy date, title, objective, and they always have a starter - often a thought-provoking question which we then feedback which they like cause they love the sound of their own voices. Discussion wise, I have a soft toy they have to be holding in order to be allowed to speak during discussion which has worked with them
    - lack of work completed, I make them do for homework and then keep them in once it's done to talk to them about how much better they can do etc etc. At heart they're good kids and want to achieve so I now go down the 'I'm so disappointed, because look how well you can do when you try...'
    - I laugh. A lot. I also call their bluff when they make rude or facetious comments and turn it back on them. I treat them like adults if they ask vaguely related questions (totally off-topic and I roll my eyes and walk away)
    - I've given them some of me. They know the (saddo) films I like and that I'm trying to write a novel.
    Basically, I have a lot of banter with them. It wouldn't work for everybody, but I've got about 5 or 6 of them working at level 7 now and they are not a bright year group. And they like the subject and tend to get settled quickly, so something must be working.
    No idea if any of this is helpful to you or not.

5. Hi Estella,
    I too have challenging year 9 class - bottom set who I only see once a week. The first thing to remember is that behaviour management is not a miracle, it's an ongoing policy. You have to teach good behaviour and they have to learn it.
    I use a praise board - never sanctions as I find this works with this group. Pick off one or two each lesson, constantly praise ANYTHING positive - even not throwing a pen or putting something in the bin. Ring home A LOT. email form tutors with anything positive and ask tutor to praise the child. It will take a while but it does work. It is hard but it does pay off. Good luck.

6. Thank you all for your replies. I should just add that I have nine yr9 classes and teach two subjects. I insist on silence for the register.. no matter how long it takes. It took them a while to get used to this, but now it's really paying off and I find it really calms the energy down and gets them in a listening mode. Another teacher came in one day during register and I'm pretty sure they were amazed by it. A couple of my classes are doing excellent work. However it's still a game for some of them to be disrespectful and disruptive, in hard to target groups. Targeting the ring leaders is still such a challenge, but what I did last week was stop the class, and tap people on the shoulder one by one and allow them to could get back into their work groups and this left me with about five students who were clearly the disruptive ones who I gave written work to................

I do use humour and turning it back on them, which works particularly well at times. Many of my year 9's seem to get embarrassed by praise and their main fear is loosing standing with their peers, so I'm not sure praising is always effective in these particular classes. At a certain point sanctions have to happen, but this is where it gets tricky for me. My HoD is either way too busy, absent or busy elsewhere in the building, so I give detentions myself and follow through to Head of Year................

The main issue I think is that some just have no interest in learning and not much fear of detentions or being sent to Head of Year etc. I know I'm a good teacher and I know I have a good personality for working with kids as I have done so for years previous to training. I'm not sure there is much I can do if they are not bothered about being sent for sanctions. Hopefully it will get better and as I've said some of the classes have really turned around for me as I've kept up my insistence on high standards...................

I was told I wouldn't have homework to correct, but it was set by HoDs and I ended up with around 30 hours of correcting. So trying to follow up homework with homework detentions and follow up behaviour with behaviour detentions, prepare and teach all my classes means I'm in early, I leave late and I get no breaks or lunches. That alone is really discouraging me at the moment, I just don't feel I get paid enough for relentless work with no breaks.

For some reasons I can't seem to create paragraphs on my computer on this forum, apologies.

7. losing not loosing. Edit button disappeared..

8. Yes I agree about the getting no breaks thing - and all the marking as well just means you have *no* time if you are determined to keep on top of everything.
    One solution I tried was to *only* give after-school detentions. That means i get my breaks when I need them and they *hate* getting detentions.
    In theory are quite within your rights to keep them for 10 mins at the end of each day without notice. However this can lead to problems if they miss a bus or whatever as these days everyone gets a bit hysterical about this sort of thing. From my point of view the more they are incovenienced the better - if they need to catch a bus they'd better be good hadn't they!
    But SMT are spineless about such things often.
    And of course you don't want to end up with 30 children in your after-school detention. One way round this is to say if they don't do some really long / taxing piece of written work (not one that needs marking) at home that night then they will be in after-school the next night.
    I found doing detentions after-school only was generally a good method for me - I just really needed time to myself during the day and at the end the pressure of teaching is off for a bit. But I guess it depends on your school's attitude. I don't think teachers can be forced to do break / lunchtimes tho as it's a break for you as well (unless youre on duty).
    Regards
    J

9. Oh my oh my how familiar this sounds.
    Just had to make a sympathetic groan.
    My Y9 Head of Year says 'give them sweets'.
    [*]

10. Year 9's are tricky - and,sadly, that's a fact. I have in the past found that its good to establish routines and stick to your guns as far as work and homework are concerned. Always have a starter ready for when they come in. BUT keep them on their toes by changing something on a regular basis. I learnt this from an Art teacher who regularly changed the configuration of the classroom. A frequent change in either seating or reward/sanction systems can break negative behaviour patterns. Try using raffle tickets as a reward system for just one unit of work. A colleague who worked with a very difficult class had a simple smiley face/sad face system. 3 smileys = a raffle ticket. 3 sads = detention. You can change the criteria for reward/sanction every class if you wish (i.e 1 point for completing 2 pages of written work etc). They are generally a competitive bunch, but be prepared to allow some `working off' of sad faces.
    And remember to see the positive! If you really analyse the class behaviour, you will more likely than not see that the vast majority are good kids.

11. Thanks folks, this Forum is a life saver. Your feedback much appreciated!

12. angel09

angel09 New commenter

Slightly off topic...I think these are very tell tale....I have a Hod who likes to off load all the yr9 classes and very large ks3 classes so that he only teaches the smaller exam groups and no he is not more experienced just looking after number one.

On a positive note I think you are very conscientious, hard working and doing all the right things to establish your standard. It is also slightly easier if you have taught these yr9 in yr7 or yr8 and they know what your expectations are. And yes they do 'switch off' if they have decided that they are not going to do your subject at this time of the year so you do need to take this into account.