1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for speeding up Maths planning?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Sarahdub, Sep 13, 2010.

1. I'm just starting my third year teaching. I've had Year 3 for the past two years and have now moved into a mixed 4/5 class with a very wide range of abilities. I know I'm just getting to grips with a new set of objectives but it is taking me hours and hours to plan a week of lessons. Almost more time than I actually spend teaching it! I have the 100 Maths Framework Lessons book but don't find it helpful in terms of progression of objectives and differentiation. I am desperate for some tips for resources etc. that people use to help them. I would be really grateful for any suggestions.

2. I have the 100 Maths Framework book and use a mixture of that and Hamilton and the Framwork objectives to plan. It still takes ages though. I'd be interested to hear some tips on how to do it quickly!

3. It's a relief to hear somebody else is in the same boat!

4. I've got a mixed year 3/4 group and Maths planning always takes me ages. Teaching the Framework to mixed years is nigh on impossible. I've given up on it. I use the Hamilton stuff because it has workable suggestions on how to teach the content of the Framework to mixed year groups. The order of the units is mixed up but you will get the overall coverage and the progression of skills is clear. I pick and mix from their plans - sometimes whole class stuff can be taught to everyone, sometimes I have to deliver the challenge for older more able children through group work, I tweak their starters and plenaries to fit my class, I change the level of challenge for whole class, I use my TA a lot to deliver the simpler Maths. I find it a useful starting point for content of lessons and sequence. I haven't come across anything better for mixed years. If anyone has, please let us know!!

5. I'm mixed year 3/4 too and it is taking my FOREVER to plan maths - there is just such a HUGE gap it makes it near impossible. A little fed up right now after another PPA session where I worked the whole time and feel like I've achieved nothing,

6. Hi there

I tend to use the activity banks on Cumbria grid for learning to get some general ideas for the objectives in the particular block/unit
    http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=130
    These are organised through the particular block/unit, but the next link organises the activities by the particular objective - just click on your year first:
    http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=185
    I've also included the link for mixed age planning - just pick the block/unit and the this should help too -
    http://numeracy.cumbriagridforlearning.org.uk/index.php?category_id=129
    I hope this is helpful to start with. I also tend to look at the Standards Files for some examples of activities (a word of caution - some are fairly awful!) and I look at the APP sheets to help with the pitch - I don't plan from them.
    Also, the Primary Framework Learning Overview for your block/unit can have some good ideas of activities to use.
    I'll let you know if I think of anything else! :)

7. I am exactly the same - changed from Y4 to Y4/5 (well whole school changed) but am finding it so hard not to repeat stuff from last year and to make sure I am doing both Y4 and Y5 stuff. Used to be really quick planning maths but just can't get my head round it now!

8. I also dip into the old NNS plans on the Wirral site. These are really detailed and give ideas for oral starters as well as main activities. I don't find it so useful for differentiation though. It gives the plans in blocks or units for each are you are covering and the plans are detailed daily. Have a look, you might find it useful.

9. Do you have website address for Wirral stuff?

10. Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate the suggestions and I shall look into all of them :)

11. I am glad someone has started this thread - I dread Maths planning every week. I am yet to find a really excellent resource for Numeracy.
    100 hours is good but a bit jumpy in Year 1; Collins Maths is v workbook based.
    Our Numeracy consultant has told us that she disagrees with all maths schemes and we should make the whole thing up ourselves! Great advice that is. She's not the one slaving away at it at the weekend. I think some consultants live in cuckoo land.
    Thank you for the Cumbria website - I thought that contained some r good ideas - needless to say it was never mentioned by our numeracy consultant........

12. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I've taught Y1/2 a 4/5 and now 3-6 SEN and Numeracy is always the most challenging. I've found that the most effective way is to use the Cumbria med term plans (as they have mixed year groups on there) to decide my order of objectives etc. I then use a combination of my ideas and Scholastic framework to do my planning. It takes me a PPA session to plan a units worth of 3 seperate numeracy lessons a day now (I have to teach a P scale type lesson, mid L1 and top L2 so too much to simply differentiate). When I taught 1 'normal' lesson I could plan and resource a week in around 90 mins using this method - hope it helps!

13. I have been teaching now for 20 years I love teaching maths! I dread planning for it! It still takes me hours and I've had mixed ability classes and every year group from 1-6 in the last 10 years.
    I find the best thing is differentiating your questioning and the using the objectives above or below the year as needed. APP assement should help as well and should guide your planning.

14. I copy and paste the AFL questions from the framework and do the same with the pitch and expectation questions. They are already levelled and provide questions for some lessons, this saves lots of time searching for or making up my own questions. I cut them up and children swap and discuss their strategies. I also use topic box a lot for games and the N rich website for my gifted group. Primary resources is excellent for Powerpoints which saves you time making them. I use a rolling programme of about 12 oral and mental starters which I repeat over a half term based on analysis of the end of year optional tests to pick up on weaknesses of the class. This way I can dip in and out of the same 12 or so activities and there are enough for the children to not get bored. My number one rules to save time are to never ever ever use worksheets and don't worry about everything looking pretty. Chopped up AFL questions copied and pasted do the same job as a beautiful worksheet lovingly created and covered in clip art with a matching border! This takes up so much time as you have to differentiate it so many ways and if the children can do the first 5 what's the point of carrying on? Try to make your maths lessons as practical as possible and try not to plan too rigidly. I sometimes plan the first 2 or 3 days and then take it from there. So many times I have spent ages planning the week out to the last detail and on day 1 realised we need to go in a completely different direction.

15. Hi
    I too use the resources you have mentioned. A scheme which is worth dipping into is Target on Maths. I also find 'Mathematical challenges for able pupils in Key Stages 1 and 2' from the framework useful! Another resource is a bank of websites for the children to access, while it does take a bit of time to find and save, it is very worthwhile. [​IMG]

16. The trouble with a lot of all these suggestions is that there are so many resources out there, but it is really time-consuming looking at them all. My school has recently taken on topic based Maths, meaning that we decide our own topics for Maths, which may or may not be the same as the main class topic, and all our ST planning sheets have to be a standard form, newly introduced last Spring, so that means no using anything from this time last year. This means everything has to be planned from scratch, which takes ages! I spend about 3 hours planning a week's worth (5 lessons). But theoretically, we should be able to use them next year, which should help a lot.
    I use the Framework a lot, plus Primary resources and I find the BBC Broadband zone clips are great for introducing a unit/area. I wish we had more resources in school though.

17. I have a Y5/6 group. We use the Nelson Abacus scheme, which I find pretty good. I still dip about a bit, but there are weekly plans which can be altered according to your class. We also set for maths, which makes life a lot easier, but of course, this may not be possible at your school. This year my 30 kids are all 3a/3b so planning is so much easier!

18. I looked at that Crumbia website and is has been really helpful. Even though we have different outcomes in Australia these sorts of resources make you realise how universal maths is. Thanks.

19. dobby

dobby New commenter

Thanks for the links and ideas. I have a 4/5/6 class maths planning takes forever!
    The Primary Framework have linked the objectives together for each unit for mixed ages too and they have shuffled objectves about a bit so that the units are a bit more coherent for mixed classes. We've printed these and are higlighting them as we go, then we can see the gaps which we have to fill when the objectives crop up again.
    Here's the R Y1 Y2 link
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/98453

Y2/3/4
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/46749

and the KS2 link
    http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/46655
    I've also been looking at Hamilton (which doesn't have any mixed 5/6 planning) Click Teaching (which is very worksheet heavy) and using Primary Resources for Powerpoints etc.
    Good to know there are others in the same boat though. How many weeks until half term?

20. Thank God it's not just me! Everyone else in my school seems to get their planning done in no time at all - I seem to the be the only one working at the weekends, too!
    Ploughing through the resources is what really takes the time, isn't it - there is just so much out there.
    To help cut down the time I spent on google finding them in the first place, I really like the Primary Toolkit Bar.
    http://primarytoolkitbar.ourtoolbar.com/