1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for running a Spanish club?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by kijog, Jan 11, 2012.

1. I'm tasked with running an extra-curricular Spanish club for our year 7 pupils. So far I've got them to prepare and present powerpoint presentations in groups about aspects of Spanish culture. Asking the earth here, but I'm looking for projects which are engaging and get them to use the language, but don't require a huge amount of planning.
    If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful, the pupils are getting out of form time, so I want it to be more then just messing around or watching DVDs!
    Muchas gracias!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Brilliant suggestions from jubilee there.
    I like to use puppets and get them speaking small conversations and if you cando some real life situations cooking, rol-play etc.

3. I would say that is probably easier to plan for an extra-curricular club than actual lessons, which in reality are dictated by the constraints of the NC.
    Ideas you could do are:
    Songs and worksheets. Music is popular with young people anyway, and you could do a lot to interest them in the latest Hispanic music hit. You could use Shakira and David Bisbal as a starting point. Obviously you don't want to do this too regularly as it'll bore them, but the songs will also need to have a focus of some kind - for vocabulary or a grammar point.
    You could base some lessons around football, again this is popular in Spain and has cross curricular links with PE.
    If you have the facilities, you could introduce your students to a bit of cooking. Tortilla española is relatively easy to cook and the grammatical focus would be the imperative. I've made churros with an after school club before with success - they loved eating them!
    If you feel the need to go a little old school, then the occasional verb drill won't hurt either.
    Don't forget to include something that stimulates the four skills (SLRW) as well as the VAK learning styles.
    The range of activities you can do will of course depend on the amount of students you have.

4. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

5. Ideas we tried which seemed to work at our Spanish clubs:
    1. finding Spanish penpals through the assistant and helping pupils writing making presentations for them in basic Spanish, but with questions in English for the Spanish pupils to answer in reply. Kids enjoyed discovering what they had in common with the Spaniards.
    2. quiz including pictures of Spanish celebrities to identify, flags of Spanish-speaking countries.
    3. Spanish cooking / tapas.
    4. Spanish crafts (making fans for flamenco, pinatas...)
    Good luck.