1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any tips for my essay, please

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by lisalatortue, Jan 31, 2019.

1. lisalatortue

lisalatortue New commenter

Hi everyone, I am a PGCE student in MFL and I am due to write an essay about behaviour.
    The title is the following: The impact of the rewards on the behaviour.
    I started to look at some journal articles and found out that motivation leads to a positive learning environment.

Did I understand correctly? Do you comprehend differently?
    How could I bring this essay interesting?

Thank you in advance,

Lisa

2. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Try Googling 'impact of rewards on pupil behaviour'. Look at the research on the level of impact of different types of rewards. Describe those that have most/least impact and explain why this might be. Focus on the types of rewards which are likely to be most effective when teaching MFL and explain how you might use these in your lessons.

phlogiston and Dodros like this.
  3. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Bonxie has set the parameters to be explored in your essay very well. You may also want to review the literature about MFL learners with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties, or social, emotional and mental health issues (SEMH) as they are known nowadays. Access the "Languages" page on the SpecialEducationalNeeds.com website at http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/home/languages
    and follow the "Documentation" link next to the phrase "A learner with social, emotional and behavioural difficulties", or proceed directly to the same destination by following the link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw7z_4bLjOOEdTk3blhDMmt5NWc. There you will find several documents and articles about the implications of SEMH for learners of MFL and how MFL teachers and researchers have addressed them. Of course, behaviour difficulties may also arise in the MFL classroom when students have needs other than SEMH, such as Specific Learning Difficulties (Dyslexia), Autistic Spectrum Conditions or Sensory Impairments and the "Foreign Language Learners with Additional Needs" section on the "Languages" page offers ample documentation about each difficulty.

4. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I do.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

You may want to touch on intrinsic v extrinsic motivation and the impact on behaviour. Also worth considering how a ‘one size fits all ‘ reward system may be found wanting so knowledge of the individual is key in celebrating their efforts as much (if not more) as their ‘ progress’. A learning environment which acknowledges that it is ok to make a mistake is one to be encouraged I think .

6. Girlfromthenorthcountry

Girlfromthenorthcountry New commenter

7. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

'Rewards' are poor motivators of performance... You need this.

8. suzyvance

suzyvance New commenter

Extending a reward to students helps to promote positive and appropriate behavior among students in your class. Following class rules, being kind to one another and keeping safety a priority are just a few of the positive behaviors to be displayed in your classroom through the gifting of rewards to the students. Through appropriate student behavior, teachers are able to concentrate on lesson content and interactive activities to indulge students in learning opposed to focusing on classroom discipline.