1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any Tips for helping children learn words for Nativity

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by woolyma, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Sorry but this post made me laugh.
    Today we had a dress rehersal where Gabriel flew/fell off the stage onto my lap and Mary swung on her chair and landed face down on baby Jesus in the crib.
    We seem to have the words almost off pat now mainly becasue we have practiced loads, sent the words home (and chosen speakers wisely!) Our class teacher kneels at the front and prompts and I (as TA) feed the 27 on when they are needed.
    We play the songs in class while the children are tidying up or getting changed for PE etc. Just hoping it will go well on the day.
    Good luck!

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I'd keep it very, very simple and only give any lines at all to children who actually want to do it. My 'speakers' have only got a line or 2 each and I have sent these home to learn. Most of them are quite keen, though, and have more or less learnt them after a few practices.
    I introduced them as we have been learning the songs - the lines before or after the song - before trying it out in the Hall.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The scene woolyma describes sounds very familiar. We have had the animals in the stable wrestling and the Virgin Mary lying on her back with her legs in the air and then going for an impromptu walk round with Baby Jesus.

4. I used to put the song CD on in the background while we were doing other things in the hope the words might go in.
    We had one reception chap refuse to leave the stage after his moment of stardom, thankfully one of the very with-it Y6s gently took his hand and led him off-stage improvising to make it part of the performance - bless 'em!