1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

any tips - capital letters and full stops in year 1

Discussion in 'Primary' started by banks193, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hi all,
    I moved to year 1 from FS last September and am really loving it. Lots of the children have made so much progress and are now writing so much. One difficulty however is getting them to be reliable with capital letters and full stops. We have tried extra support, targets such as next steps and getting chidlren to check their own work.
    Many are still not consistant though and i know that they need to be to move into level 2 which is our aim as they are able children.
    Any ideas and tips that have worked for you would be gratefully listened to and valuable,
    Many thanks for any you are able to offer
    Alison Banks

2. Hey Banks193,
    I'm teaching Year one and I hear you loud and clear on this one. On their tables I have laminated stuck down small and capital letter strips and constantly tell them to check their letters with it. Good to have maybe a decided capital colour and smaller letter colur so it's easy at a glance which is which as I know some of my poorer ones have trouble sorting them! Also I use a sentence builder in my class (it's like a chart thing, hard to explain, available on amazon for about £15) and I make lost of mistakes doing shared writing and they have to fix it. I've also done loads of proper noun stuff so they 'know' when it 'should' be a capital but our jobs would be easy if it was that straight forward!