1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by rugby_gal06, Jul 8, 2011.

1. After qualifying last summer believing that I would get a job...I have now applied for 30 primary teaching jobs, securing a mere two interviews this time last year!
    I have personalised my letter to the school, met the person specifications, added executive summaries, you name it, I've probably tried it. Including reading Theo's clickables, contacting the university careers service, having head teachers read my letter for another opinion and attending the TES job seminars! I fear that it is because I am a supply teacher, which some other posters on here seem to be finding is a problem.
    I don't see how we can win - we can't secure a post because of cuts, use of TAs & CSs, so we do supply to keep in the loop as it were (I thought this would have been favourable), to have applications rejected. I was told by one head teacher that it raises questions over my ability! Having achieved an outstanding grade on teaching practice and a highly classed degree, I don't think my ability can be questioned. The reason I did not secure a job after my training was due to the dwindling amount of jobs being advertised and the fact that I suffered a close family bereavement, resulting in me now being punished because of it.
    If we get a job as a TA and you are a teacher, you struggle to secure a post because you haven't been teaching. If we get a job as office staff in a school, you struggle to secure a post because you haven't got any recent experience of working with/teaching children?
    Do head teachers understand the dire situation we are in? How are we meant to earn money to support ourselves, if ultimately we commit career suicide by choosing something just to pay the bills.
    Any thoughts?

2. As a head i dont know what the comment Do head teachers understand the dire situation we are in? really is asking. As a head i appoint those i feel are best for my school. And there are always gambles and yes those whove struggled to get jobs worry you as you wonder why. I know this might seem unfair but we have to do our best by children.

Have you had feedback on your applications, do you know why you arent getting to interview stage? are you applying in those areas with highest levels of teachers looking for work. can you re locate for work

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

HTs cannot create jobs just to give them to all those without.
    We interviewed just recently and could only appoint two of the hundred or so who applied. We could not possibly find a post for all 50 or so who met the person spec (essential and desirable) and had fabulous references.

4. bnm

bnm

Yes. A thought. Why should a head teacher be responsible for finding you a job? Vacancies are advertised and the best candidate is appointed. What do you think should happen?

5. I have had positive feedback on my applications, so I have no idea why I am not getting interviews. Unfortunately, I have been applying in areas with a high number of applicants. I can relocate and have been applying to counties further away to help this, but still nothing.

6. I don't think I said anything about HTs creating jobs for those without.
    If 50 or so meet the person spec and have great references, then what does it take to stand out and get an interview?

7. Again, I did not say that HTs should be responsible for finding me a post. I was merely pointing out the dire job situation and how difficult it is to get into teaching if you do not secure a post the second you finish training.
    I want to teach, hence why I started doing supply teaching. However, I am at the point where I have to consider anything but this to avoid heading into my overdraft, but then I am penalised for doing this by not showing my commitment to the profession.

8. bnm

bnm

This can depend very much on the school.
    Personally I value good A level grades and degree classification, and good grades for English and Maths (I'm a primary head). If there are spelling or grammatical errors in the application it goes instantly in the "no" pile.
    Interviews for me do not go on the "stand out" candidates, but on those that appear to be themselves well-educated and have a professional approach.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm still struggling to understand what this question expected.

10. For a head to say, yes, we do know it is tough out there and that there are good candidates who are not getting jobs. We understand that you need to put food on the table and if you have to take up a job outside teaching in the meantime, we will not hold that against you! We value those who have been doing supply teaching and have gained a great deal of classroom experience since completing their training and have more of an understanding of what is expected that the average NQT.

11. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And exactly where do you think heads ought to be saying this and to whom? It isn't the fault of the headteachers of the Uk that you can't get a job.
    I understand your frustration and the stress and worry this is causing you - but honestly, you're demanding something bizarre.

12. Not always.

13. bnm

bnm

That may be true, of course, but I can't think of any good reason why a head would not want to appoint the best candidate for the school.

14. Money or friendship.

15. bnm

bnm

And you think this is the reason why the OP has not secured a teaching job yet?

16. It could be, but I do not know as I cannot read the mind of that particular HT. There are many reasons why a person does not get a particular post, I just mentioned 2.

17. bnm

bnm

My understanding is that the OP has applied for several positions but has not as yet been appointed.
    As she appears to be obtaining interviews, it would seem to me that she has not been the best candidate on the day in terms of teaching/interview.

18. You could be right.

19. I read a lot of applications from people who've got a long history of doing supply. Not many take any initiative to make themselves stand out & their letters can read very poorly as they are full of "I believe.." statements and not enough " I have achieved..." there must be work somewhere- inner cities, abroad etc. Voluntary work & youth projects can be impressive & relevant. Asking a Head to read your letter honestly and careers advice might work.

20. Sounds like you do not have a very high opinion of supply teachers.