1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any teachers who have retrained as TAs?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Grey_Historian, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Grey_Historian

Grey_Historian New commenter

I have been a teacher for 10 years but for various reasons (studying; wanting to get a different type of experience) I'm thinking about whether it would be possible for me to apply for TA jobs in future.

I know that being a TA would involve an array of additional challenges that I've probably never encountered as a secondary classroom teacher. I also suspect that most TA posts would have lots of really excellent, appropriately-trained applicants and that I therefore wouldn't be considered seriously!

That said, I know that some of my skills and experience would be transferable to the role.

I'd be grateful for any advice or stories of other people's experiences.

2. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I both know, and have had, teachers as ta's. None of them retrained, they wanted the pressure of teaching off but wanted to stay in the environment.

The last few ta vacancies we had, ex teachers got the roles. In at least one instance, they regained their confidence and trust in schools, slowly began teaching again then secured a teaching post in school.

3. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I qualified as a teacher in 2013, and I did a few years in ‘permanent’ roles, temporary roles or on supply. Unfortunately I have not completed my NQT year and (with a young child) needed more secure employment than supply. I am currently working as a TA, having undertaken no extra training. Two of the other TAs on the team are also qualified teachers; as far as I am aware neither of them has undertaken any extra training.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I have often been involved in recruiting TAs - shortlisting and interviewing. There are an increasing number of qualified teachers applying for the roles. We always consider them and have employed three in the past. Two were very successful; excellent in the role and quickly became valued members of the staff team. One struggled, finding it very difficult not to be 'in charge' and did make a lot of waves and create tension in the year group she supported.

I'm quite sure your application will be taken seriously - go for it and good luck.

5. Grey_Historian

Grey_Historian New commenter

Thanks very much both! That's really useful to know.

6. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

You don't need any retraining, a PGCE is more than enough. The only issue is that so many teachers are applying as TAs that there is far more competition for these jobs than teaching jobs.

I've done both, teaching and TAing. I am currently a teacher again, as teaching jobs are a lot easier to come by.

The TA work is far less pressured, and better paid per hour than teaching

7. international_muso

international_muso New commenter

Why would you need to “retrain”? A teaching qualification should be enough