1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any teachers from the USA?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by mickie1984, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Hi
    An opportunity has come up to teach in a middle school in Florida and I was wondering if there were any teachers that had taught in both UK and US school (preferably Florida) that could offer advice. I have a PGCE in Secondary Geography but have little knowledge of the American school system but know that it varies from state to state. Are there any similarities to UK schools? What are the pressures and do they differ from the UK? Any comparisons or advice would be welcome

Thanks

Mics

2. Hi
    An opportunity has come up to teach in a middle school in Florida and I was wondering if there were any teachers that had taught in both UK and US school (preferably Florida) that could offer advice. I have a PGCE in Secondary Geography but have little knowledge of the American school system but know that it varies from state to state. Are there any similarities to UK schools? What are the pressures and do they differ from the UK? Any comparisons or advice would be welcome

Thanks

Mics

3. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Hi. I have taught middle school in the US (in Florida, as a matter of fact). I have not taught in th UK, but I am an avid reader of the many TES boards concerned with teaching there.
    Based on this, I would generally say that the planning, targeting, OFSTED related nonsense would be much, much less onerous in the US. There is an emphasis on getting students ready for state assessments, but to be honest, a well rounded (well taught) student should be able to pass the vast majority of assessments in there sleep. In most schools, you would have a fair amount of freedom to teach with your own style and be creative (should you so wish).
    As for behavior issues, this will vary drastically from school to school. My first job as a TA was in a fairly run down area and behavioral issues were very common (fighting, skipping, cursing out teachers). My next job was in a very large and affluent school and behavior was near perfect and most parents were convinced that all of their children were gifted and talented (and compared to my first school, they were).
    Florida does track and grade all of their schools and you should be able to see how the school did on state assessments, how many students are on free lunch etc. There is nothing wrong with taking the job regardless of these results, but you should have as much information as possible with which to make this important a decision. PM me if you want/need more detailed opinions on the city/school (I grew up and lived most of my life in FL).
    Oh, one drawback. You will have to learn to spell (like a Yank, that is).

4. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

Skewered by my own quip. The shame of it all.