1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any tailors or seamstresses about?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Aug 17, 2011.

1. One of my favourite tops has developed a rip under the arm. It is very fine, floaty material, devore georgette-type. The rip is horizontal, running for about an inch and a half. Of course I could sling it but I love it so much! It is so pretty I would love to save it if I can. I have tried mending granules with no success. I could stitch it at a push but the fabric is so fine I think it might pull. I could have a go with Wonderweb but haven't tried yet. It has long ties on the sleevesso at a push I could lose some tie length and use that fabric to reinforce the mend, but I really don't know.
    Any thoughts please?
    Many thanks.

2. hi - you should just take it to a tailor/seamstress. I have a very good person who does all my alterations, and he's not that expensive. Better to get someone skilled to fix your top (or even to look at it and say whether it's fixable) than to risk messing it up. :)

3. To be honest I love the top so much - and although a bargain it wasn't cheap - I think you are right. They will have special methods won't they of sorting it out? Thank you. dear.

4. Oh get you CK !
    Bonda web is good but not sure how floaty it will be afterwards or how strong
    http://www.knitsewcraft.co.uk/onlineshop/prod_890607-Vilene-Iron-On-Bondaweb-Adhesive.html
    Umm... how did you rip it !

5. I didn't know it was ripped at all until I went to iron it. I have always hand-washed it and iron it myself. It is old though - I nearly wore it on photo day this year and realised that I wore it on photo day about 5 years ago, But I don't want to get rid of it, it is lovely!
    I will look at the Bondaweb, thank you.