1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a book featuring a Victorian house?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sandyholmes2, Aug 28, 2012.

1. I am looking for a book suitable for a Year 1 class that will support the History unit 2 on 'What were homes like a long time ago?'. A picture book showing features of a Victorian home would be great - any ideas?
    Thanks

2. I am looking for a book suitable for a Year 1 class that will support the History unit 2 on 'What were homes like a long time ago?'. A picture book showing features of a Victorian home would be great - any ideas?
    Thanks

3. You're right, it looks great - thanks for the suggestion :)

4. Peepo by Allan Ahlberg
    Has the images of how homes were a long time ago, old fashioned prams and home equipment etc. My year 1 class really enjoyed it last year.

5. That's really set in war time.
    I suppose the houses could have been built before that.
    My class also like that book, when we do WW2. There is so much in each picture.
    How about anything by Dickens? There might be picture story versions of Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol etc.
    Come to think of it, I've got a pop-up version of A Christmas Carol so they do exist.

6. I have a pop-up book based in a Victorian house at Christmas which I have used for this unit in the past during Term 2. As I'm teaching Homes in Term 1 this year, I thought I'd look at something different, hence the request for suggestions. Thanks for your ideas, I'm off to search Amazon immediately!!

7. My niece read this book last year for their homework. She's in Year 4 though. Not sure if it's any good for you though. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Reading-Tree-Victorian-Adventure/dp/0198483376/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346183170&sr=1-1