1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any students from Sheffield Uni

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by moreshoesplease, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Hiya, I'll be starting an English PGCE in September at Sheffield Uni and was just wondering if anyone is currently studying there. If you are, what is it like? How are the schools and their mentors? How are the tutors at SU? More importantly how is the workload???

2. topina

topina New commenter

Hi everyine,
    I am going to study MFL at Sheffield Uni. this September as well. I would also like to know how is it like studying PGCE in Sheffield. How many lessons you are supposed to teach during your placement? How many lesson plans on average need to be handed in every week? Is it possible to start to prepare something now? E.g. assignments? lesson planes? I am a busy mother with a two-year-old child and I would really like to prepare anything (if it's possible) from now on in my spare time since I am afraid that taking care of a child and studying at the same time might cause some chaos after the semester begins! Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Thanks !

3. topina

topina New commenter

Hi,
    Sorry just read your message now. It looks like there are not many people from SU around here so I really appreciate the information you provided. I guess I will only find out more information when the term begins! Thanks again and good luck with your teaching! [​IMG]

4. topina

topina New commenter

Hi KeLoWa,
    Thanks very much for the more details. That was pretty much what I would like to know before the course starts and I really didn't expect someone would spend time writing all those details (especially at this busy period...)...so THANK YOU VERY MUCH!! I am doing Mandarin Chinese by the way. I've heard the school in the south provides accommodation and meals. So at least I don't need to worry about finding the place to live...However, that also gives me some problem finding a short-term place in Sheffiled...I plan to find a one-bed apartment/studio somewhere near city centre, but most of them needs 6-months contract at least. I was wondering how people sort out the accommodation issues like this? I guess there must be some people just like me who can't sign the all year contract... Will need to keep searching then!
    I believe that you must be all exhausted! But just think about there is only less than 3 months to go!! Good luck with teaching/job hunting and thanks again for all the kind help. [​IMG]

5. Ohh Mandarin down south... I know which school that is! I text the lady who is there now a couple of weeks ago and she's having a great time so you'll be sorted.
    As for the short term contract for living, you could always enquire as to short-term lets in estate agents but the other option you have is a) trying to contact others going on the course to see if there's anyone you can stay with - most people live in or around Sheffield; or b) have a look on www.spareroom.co.uk because there you can find houseshares and many of those are happy to have people in short term. Also there's a place called Norfolk park which has accommodation and you don't need to sign an academic year contract. It's not in the nicest part of town I must admit but it is secure and I think the rooms themselves are quite nice.
    Hope that helps and you're very welcome for the advice, I think I'd have appreciated someone telling me some of this stuff before I started, but I hadn't found this forum by then!

6. Hi everyone,
    I've got an interview for MFL PGCE on May 8th. I haven't received anything but the date, time and address of the interview. What should I expect? Group activities? Micro-teaching? Essays...? Thank you!