1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any small primary schools running their own school meals?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by millymoodle, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Our school meals are currently run by county in an SLA. Seriously thinking about running our own meals service, I'm sure we could provide better, locally sourced food than what we have just now. We serve around 90 meals a day and I'm not sure if that's financially viable. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

2. Our school meals are currently run by county in an SLA. Seriously thinking about running our own meals service, I'm sure we could provide better, locally sourced food than what we have just now. We serve around 90 meals a day and I'm not sure if that's financially viable. Has anyone any experience of doing this?

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

You'd need to bear in
    mind that you'd be responsible for training the staff, cover if they're absent and all the on costs.
    At the moment the la catering services Maintain the equipment too. It could be expensive if the cooker breaks down.
    I've nor come across any schools who've done this.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We would love to do this as our LA meals are terrible and tiny. Children often refuse to eat at lunchtime. The LA are resistant to us sourcing meals from elsewhere and there are all the problems associated as listed above.
    We did look at getting meals from a neighbouring school who cook their own (ours get bussed in) and are much btter quality but this ddidn't prove possible either as they are in a different LA. It may be worth a look for you though
    Good luck, I feel your pain

5. Curlygirly we are responsible for the kitchen equipment now - costs my budget if we need a new potato peeler or gas canopy. The staffing thing worries me most I think, if the cook went off sick we'd be responsible for finding the replacement.
    I'm sure we could provide better quality meals but is it too much work?

6. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

Just stumbled on this thread... There was a article on points west a while back about a school where the parents ran the school kitchen as they were frustrated with the food.. Any milage in that?

7. Thanks Mousey I'll see if I can find that article

8. two thoughts about this.
    1) Do you really want to take this responsibility on at a time of shrinking budgets? If the food is not good enough tackle the provider.
    2) At time of potential financial straits, remember what your core business is. It isn't catering.

9. It isnt through choice blackdog, our county are withdrawing the meals SLA from all but the most profitable school, one of the suggestions was to get a local pub to run them.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

In our region most small schools have their lunches supplied by a caterer, who then sources the food from a local secondary school! Although this seems rather roundabout it has two main advantages
    1) the caterer is responsible for the hygenic and safe transport of the food to school, maintained at the correct temperature and provides all the equipment, washing facilities and serving staff
    2) the secondary school continues to be able to provide cost effective food. Without the additional business providing meals to primary schools it couldn't maintain its own kitchen staff.

11. Do you know - that's a great idea. Seriously if the secondary school did our meals could I get rid of most of the kitchen and use the space for something else. Can we have just a washing up area?

12. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

We just have a sink in the staffroom for general use. All the plates,tumblers and cutlery are taken away for cleaning and then brought back the following day.
    We did look at liaising directly with the secondary school to cut out the middle-man. However that would mean either we or they would be responsible for the transport/serving etc and neither felt prepared to do this. The catering company takes out the hassle. I assume the secondary are happy with the payment they receive, our dinners cost no more than others provided locally and everyone seems to be a winner. The company ( and the secondary) now also provide "packed lunches" for those who don't want to prepare their own!