1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Any sign of the June job rush? Not in the NW - yet!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by littlemissraw, Jun 8, 2011.

1. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Only 1 so far (also NW) praying a good few arrive by friday! x

2. Still waiting too and keeping everything crossed something comes up on the council website in the morning otherwise nothing [​IMG]

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Don't be too downhearted yet.
    Schools only came back on Monday, got the resignations, had to decide what to do, set up the ad etc.
    I reckon that this Friday's TES, and next week, will show a good few possibilities.
    And remember: it's only those not in permanent posts who can apply.
    Get ready for it by re-reading the Shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread.
    Good luck! Looking forward to those new threads called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. None here yet but it looks like the council websites haven't updated teaching vacancies since the week before half term. A lecturer on my course said today that the ads would have been submitted this week for next week, so it's next week that the flurry is more likely. He said it's the second week after half term when at least 20% of students on my course secure posts, according to their data.

5. Also in NW. Only two positions since Christmas in my subject within a 1 hr 30 min commute.

Seriously considering looking for non-teaching posts now, in the end I still have bills to pay, and have been told supply is too hit or miss to live off.

6. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Well I don't know who saw the job rush that we were praying for today but there WASN'T EVEN ONE new post up for my subject. [​IMG] Hope some of you fared better...

7. What jobs rush?
    DEFINITELY lacking in the NW, nothing in my subject apart from the 3 that came up over the course of the week. The nearest new job is over an hour away for me, which isn't really viable but what choice have I got?
    The BIG question -
    What next?

8. It's the same in the SW. I've just been through all the county job pages and nothing for NQTs. I don't know what it is that is making schools only want to recruit experienced teachers at this time of year - very unfair!! [​IMG] Do we have to wait until next year now for a shot at a job?

9. Also in NW, there are currently 13 jobs in my subject. Only 1 of which is in a commutable distance. I am also a 'shortage' subject! Hopefully things will improve next week.
    Good luck everyone!

10. Everyone kept saying 'don't worry there will be a glut of jobs after half term'. What a bl**dy joke!!! (In SW)
    About 1/2 doz jobs, over 100 applications for each one. This week there has been days with no fresh teacher jobs on the county council website. I now have to resign myself to the fact that I will be doing supply in September and that sucks[​IMG]
    What I want to know is: why do the teacher training uni's keep taking on more students when there are not enough jobs to go round???? Shouldn't they now put a cap on the number of teachers they can train?
    I am very bitter - 13 applications (I know thats not many in the greater scheme of things but hey, I'm rather fed up right now) and not one interview. Followed TheoGriffs advice and nothing.
    Don't know what to do next!

11. There is no glut of jobs.Let's face it times are tough and schools are not paying for experienced teachers but compromising and even cutting back to make ends meet. I am very disappointed and am fearful about the future of education in this country.With the review of the National Curriculum under way what further shocks will we have to endure before the end of the year?

12. Think I am making it harder by only applying for part time posts and there is definitely not a rush here in the North East (North of the river). There have been a few full time jobs but not the loads you would expect.

Oh well, just did online applications for 2 building societies and 2 travel agencies!

13. Why is this unfair? I'm an experienced, returning teacher and all I see is jobs being advertised for NQTs. The ONLY jobs I've had feedback for have appointed NQTs. 40 applications at least since Christmas for me, not a single interview, following Theo's advice to the T I've nothing left to give! 3 children to support what's next? I can't rely on supply, it's too bitty.

14. I see your point. It's hard for everyone at the moment. I guess there will always be the debate around experienced teachers being appointed over NQTs and vice versa.

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, the normal June rush didn't come.
    Just like the March and May rushes, disappeared into thin air.
    We knew that jobs were down by a third compared with past years, but we thought it might pick up.
    But it didn't.
    Do make sure that you don't miss out on any opportunities - sign up for a JobAlert. Or rather, sign up for lots of them, covering differnt subjects or KS, and of course also doing them for Independent schools.
    You want to be aware of anything that comes up.
    Best wishes to you all.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!