1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Any Self Employed Supply Teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by dexterwilliams, Nov 27, 2011.

  1. Has anybody got any advice regarding being a self-employed supply teacher. I am aware that a lot of schools employ supply staff that they know or like and I have contacts in several schools.
    Having been a full-time teacher for 7 years I am looking at doing supply work in the same county, but would also travel reasonable distances. I am specifically thinking of the following points:
    - As a secondary specialist in ICT and Music can I take on supply work in a Primary School?
    - Is it easy enough to do self assessment tax returns or would you recommend an accountant?
    - Would I need to be on every LEA supply teacher list where I may work?
    - Can you get a general CRB check or would each school/LEA need to do their own?
  2. - You MIGHT be able to get Primary work, there seems to be more of that available than secondary.
    -Self assessment is very straightforward, don't bother with an accountant.
    -Most LEAs don't even have a supply list any more.
    -If you can get an LEA CRB that will do but some schools will still demand their own.
    Please read these forums carefully and realise how sparse supply work is now. Do not give up a full time job without very good reason. Some people are earning well below the tax threshold.
  3. Most supply working directly for schools are not self-employed. They are paid through the LEA payroll. The issue with self employment is CRB checks-you can't do your own check, so you are looking to have one from somewhere else, which may be fine until a school questions it, eg three months after its issue.
  4. If you have a full time post and are thinking of going into supply self employed or otherwise I can give you the name of a good shrink to see before you do anything really really stupid.
  5. I'm self employed anyway for other work. Just register with HMRC as self employed and also register for self assessment. It's my first year doing so therefore can't comment further. As for teaching, my agency have forced me to be self employed to save them money. I have a crb with them and am in a long term post benefitting from invoicing weekly and being paid straight away. I went to register with another agency and my crb is portable but as I got work I didn't bother. I am also registered with on LEA list and have had no work with them but their crb is not portable as they paid for it. Payment would be through PAYE though with LEA. If you have more than one LEA you will need crbs for each. Out if 5 LEAs near me only one has a lust and others go through agencies.
  6. I'm self employed however that is partly due to the fact that up until I did my PGCE two years ago I was working in the music industry. I spent 10 years working as a peri teacher in schools as well as playing. Some work I invoiced the client (parent) of the child and other schools employed me. I never had any problems with HMRC as being self employed adds to my workload not theirs. When I did my NQT year last year I contacted both HMRC and the LEA I was working for and neither had a problem with me staying as self employed.
    My NQT year was only on a one year contract and I decided that I wanted to continue class teaching (primary) and also continue performing, instrumental teaching and music workshops as I really missed doing this kind of work.
    So far this term I have been stupidly busy, I am working for three LEA's and paid to be CRB checked at two of them as this meant that I could work at any school in that authority and I didn't see that it was fair to ask one school to pay for the CRB check when I was going to benefit from it. I now work in four regular schools as a class teacher, doing a mixture of PPA cover and sickness cover and I LOVE it!!
    When I was at music college I was asked if I considered myself an instrumentalist or a musician and I automatically replied musician. I feel the same way about my PGCE, it is a piece of paper that has helped open other doors. Today I was a tutor for a year 5 child who is really struggling in maths and an instrumental teacher. Tomorrow I'm playing for some recording sessions and the rest of the week I am teaching children in years 2, 3, 4 and 6.
    If you do decide to register as self employed I suggest you get your first lot of books seen to by and accountant, just for peace of mind. Ring round a few account firms or ask a friend if they happen to be one, just to check that you are not claiming for anything you can't.
    I have only ever had one year of my working life when I have been on a full time employed contract and it easy to see why everyone would tell you to stick with a contract, but if it is not for you then supply is an option but also try to think what else you can offer. You say you specialise in music and ICT so why not see if you can put together some projects that can go into schools.
    Being self employed or doing supply only works if you are prepared to put some effort in and yes that does sometimes feel like selling your soul.
    Whatever you decide, goodluck!
  7. Sorry, I should have added that you will get paid through payroll for an LEA but when you do your books you should keep a excel sheet of info of your PAYE income, a sheet of income that has tax but no NI deducted, a sheet of income that has NI deducted but no tax and a sheet of income that hasn't has anything removed! Then, in the unlikely, although it has happened to me (twice), event that the tax man comes knocking it is all really clear.
    Also, when you register you will have to making class 2 NI contributions and then class 4 is woked out by HMRC when you submit your books. If your work load fluctuates from year to year you may find your tax bill changes quite dramatically. I've had years where I have had to find an extra £2000 than I was expecting to pay only to find I get a rebate the following year!
    If you are working for two or more LEA's where you are on the payroll you will eventually be given a tax code for LEA that tells them how much tax you have to pay but you will find that you may end up paying more tax than you need to for the first year/18 months. It just means you will get a rebate at some point.
    Oh, and although you teach ICT, make friends with excel!
  8. "As for teaching, my agency have forced me to be self employed to save them money". There's being self employed and there's self employed. When an agency pushes its supply teachers into an umbrella company, that's not the same genuine self employment that is when you set out alone and set up your own business. If the agency is placing the work, it is a dubious "self employment", not sure the taxman one day won't close the loop hole. If you are paying the different NI contributions, you need to check what you get, I don't believe it is the same as the PAYE NI contributions benefits. I was self employed for around five years, alongside PAYE, but my self employment was not for supply work.
  9. Hi,
    I know that you were responding directly to someone else but i have found your comments very helpful. Would it be possible for you to email me a blank copy of your spreadsheet please?
    I am currently employed on a 2 day contract but will be self employed on the other days of the week.
    Many thanks
  10. darkness

    darkness New commenter

    I always question these things. I know agency contracts tend to say you are self employed on them, but it is all dodgy due to them doing your tax and NI for you etc and paying employer contributions.

    Don't forget you need to also register to pay your NICs if self employed.

Share This Page